Mystery tool

Dave H (MI)

I posted this on Tool Talk and it seems to have us all guessing. Anyone here have an idea what this is? More info on the Tool thread.

cvphoto114657.jpg

cvphoto114658.jpg

Back in the day, this would hold a scale on a large layout table. On the table may be a large casting, which would be leveled, marked with layout blue, and checked for machine stock. The layout man would use a surface gage with a pointer/scriber to mark the casting, centering machine stock on bores etc, and providing machine operator with starting points. He would use the scale to pickup his reference dimensions. I worked in machine work 44 yrs. Have a friend that did this work on the large Cooper Bessemer engines.

I concur; you have an adjustable-height holder for either 1) a long steel rule, or 2) an optical-tooling scale.

The height adjustment feature allows the steel rule or optical-tooling scale to be adjusted so that its zero is at an easy-to-bookkeep height with respect to the workpiece.

It's a very handy tool when laying-out or inspecting a large casting or weldment.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back