NAA lift cover & oils

Two0aks

Unknown condition of lift operation before renovating.

I have the cover off and will check adjustments, but I'm wondering if there is anything else I should mess with ? Would it be considered "maintenance" to replace with new the gaskets and o-rings that come with a Kit ?

I've read 825 post of more that 2500 regarding "NAA oil" search. The only new seals are Aft PTO seal & Trans input shaft seal. I'm thinking I should use "multi purpose" 80W-90 GL-5 gear oil in Trans & Differential and UTF for Hydraulics. Some say GL-5 may damage Yellow metal and 90wt gl-1 is also available.

Gaining knowledge but need more

I run a hydraulic/ transmission oil I get
from my local Carquest that says it
meets or exceeds the 134D specs in the
transmission, hydraulics, and rear end
of my Jubilee. Reason being, the seals
that separate those sumps are likely as
old as the tractor, and would probably
leak... and that hydraulic system would
not like that heavy gear oil! I've run
the 134D spec in it for more than 20
years, now. No issues.

Thanks Fordfarmer.

It seems to be a consensus folks are using M2C134-D.

I'm just trying to understand how a Hydraulic fluid works also as a fluid for the Differential and Transmission. 80W90 compared to UTF ?

I've looked at the specs for 134D, but don't understand what I'm looking at to see how it replaces Trans & Diff 80W90 oil.

What tractor have you been using this in for 20 years ? And yes the seals that are most important to isolate the Hyd fluid I haven't replaced. I don't want to take the Trans apart.

(quoted from post at 23:58:27 01/18/22) Thanks Fordfarmer.

It seems to be a consensus folks are using M2C134-D.

I'm just trying to understand how a Hydraulic fluid works also as a fluid for the Differential and Transmission. 80W90 compared to UTF ?

I've looked at the specs for 134D, but don't understand what I'm looking at to see how it replaces Trans & Diff 80W90 oil.

What tractor have you been using this in for 20 years ? And yes the seals that are most important to isolate the Hyd fluid I haven't replaced. I don't want to take the Trans apart.

MC2134D and UTF are not just hydraulic fluids. They also have additives for Extreme Pressure (EP) conditions that causes the fluid to stick to the mating surfaces of gear teeth under extreme pressure conditions, where only a heavier oil without those additives could do so in the distant past. They also have friction modifier additives so that they allow wet clutches and brakes to work properly without too much slippage. It is called progress in technology.

You should take into account how you will be using your tractor. As Sean posted the modern UTF oils have additives that wet clutches and brakes need, but your NAA has neither of those. Those same additives enable the oil to absorb water from the air and turn into a "milk shake" which is not good for any of your bearings and gears. If you use your tractor hard enough for long enough every week or two the water will be driven off by the heat that is generated. Otherwise you will need to change the oil every few months or just go with an equivalent to what was originally specced for your NAA.

I've been using it in the Jubilee for 20+
years.
All I use now is 15W40 diesel rated
engine oil and 134D spec hydraulic, for
all my tractors, from the Jubilee to the
TW35.

Thank you Sean, showcrop, and Fordfarmer.

Comments remind me of the Three Musketeers. All for one & one for all.

It won't break the bank to buy six gallons of 134D. But of course I don't know what was in the Reservoir before I drained it. I'm hoping to merely install the Vane pump and hope it works. I didn't know nor tested any of the hydraulics before dismantling. Original spec for Hyd. is m-4864A above 10F. Is viscosity similar or same as 134D ? Lastly, what is equivalent best grade to 134 ?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back