Naa stalling

Graham7of8

New User
I have a Naa and it as been running fine all summer. I had to replace the choke plate that broke a few months back but it been running fine. I use the tractor every week for and hour or so and heavily every few weeks primrily mowing weeds with a sickel bar mower. As of the past three weeks of mowing it has started up great and run like a champ for about 20 minuites or so than it starts t stutter a little and over the next 5 or so minutes gets so bad it will stall out. Let it sit till cool and it will fire up and run intill hot than it stalls out again. It acts like I am choking it. Anyone have any thoughts I whats happening?
 
Sounds like your coil is bad. Next time it does this, see if the tractor has spark after it dies out. Is this a 6v or 12v electrical system? A 6v coil will eventually fail if 12v is applied without a resistor in the circuit.
 
Do some simple trouble shooting. #1 when it dies check for spark. You need a good blue/white spark that will jump a 1/4 inch gap. #2 check fr fuel by pulling the drain plug form the bottom of the carb. Also check that the fuel tank is not vapor locking on you or boiling either one will cause you problems. If the tank vent is clogged it can vapor lock and if the heat shield is not there to the gas is getting to hot it can cause to much pressure and cause one to flood out
 
I think 'old' has the answer because I had exactly the same
symptoms on my tractor a few years back. After some head
scratching, I discovered that the heat shield was not doing
its job near the gas line and I was getting vapor lock in that
line. After rerouting the gas line, all has been fine ever
since.

Good luck and please report back so that we can learn from
your experiences, too.
 
I think your 'cooling' is actually gas trickling into carb bowl, and then it runs and sucks it dry.

do olds test. at death.. check for spark. if it has spark.. look at fuel by removing bowl drain and draining into jar.

imediatly 'guessing' coil is an expensive move that some make when they don't know how to troubleshoot.

no guessing needed.. troubleshoot first.. then fix the problem.

soundguy
 
Graham........given the time frame, sounds like yer gastank is VACUUM starving yer carb. Loosen yer gas cap to release the VACUUM. Simple, eh? .......Dell
 
Agree with soundguy. Also check for gas in the carb by removing the bolt in the bottom of the the carb, 9/16 I think. You may have screens in the gas line choked. There are 3 total. One in the tank, one in the bowl and one in the gas line fitting at the carb.
 
(quoted from post at 12:15:21 09/15/11) Agree with soundguy. Also check for gas in the carb by removing the bolt in the bottom of the the carb, 9/16 I think. You may have screens in the gas line choked. There are 3 total. One in the tank, one in the bowl and one in the gas line fitting at the carb.
eorge, e-mail me. Modern View for addr.
 
Thanks For all the good advise. I Checked the gas flow from tank to carb. Everything looked clean and flowed well. The fuel line is well routed and the heat shield looks good. A little sediment in the bowl but not much. Removed the gas cap and check the vent hole it was a little closed off ran a nail through the hole and opened it back up. Stated the tractor and let run a good 15 minutes than drove it another 15 no stutter no stalling. It is about 10 degrees colder today than yesterday so I will run it mid day again this weekend ,we are suppost to get a bit of warm weather, and see if it keep working strong. It looks like vacuum in the tank was the problem I will let you know how this weekends test goes.
 
Update, Today I did my weekly mowing with the tractor and a reel mower and the stalling came back. I mow in pattern so it takes me about the same amout of time to get to the same spot in the yard and like clock work the hesitaion and stalling was back.
While it cooled down I checked and found I had spark at the voltage regulater.
I flushed the line they were clean. Traced the gas line with abare hand and even though the heat shild was hot the line was warm but not hot.

Pulled the sediment bowl again a little dirt but with clean line flow and the carb drain showing no sediement I would assume it all clear.
I also pulled the distributer cap and check all spark plug connection they are all new in the spring so all looked good.
any thoughts on a next step?
Could I assume it electric?
Ther is now high temp cutoff on an NAA?

I would like to add it has a 12 volt voltage regulator on a 6volt system and it was warm to the touch but I would not say Hot.


Bill
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top