Narrowing up tractor chains

rockyridgefarm

Well-known Member
This kinda sucks. The chains are tired. I had used them on my 4640, and now they are getting demoted to my 2030, going from an 18.4 tire to a 16.9 tire, so two links needed to go.

Ellie wants to help.
mvphoto100587.jpg


mvphoto100588.jpg
 
I have found if you drive a punch in the edge link it can be pried open and then hammered back shut. I usually am trying to add links.
 
I ordered new chains for my little Kubota and they came in way too long. They were the duo chains that the cross links hooked into a big ring in the center of the chain - so 4 hooks for each cross piece. I had to cut off about 18 in the side chains, which meant removing 2 of the 6 cross pieces. I ended up ordering a long handled tool that would open the hooks and then re-close them. Made quick work of it since I ended up moving all the cross pieces closer so I could still use all 6 of them. About $80 I think for the tool, but no way I could have done it with anything I had on hand. Nice set of chains now.

https://www.zoro.com/westward-chain-repair-plier-32-4564-in-l-45ff36/i/G3112299/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping%20feed&utm_content=free%20google%20shopping%20clicks&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI682R2NON_AIVB7LICh0vfwhhEAQYASABEgJPCvD_BwE


Tim
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top