Need advice about new planter and tread width

jimr63

New User
So long story short, just upgraded from an old Allis Chalmers 333 - 4 row (narrow) corn planter to a JD 7000-6RN conservation till with liquid fertilizer tanks. The old AC planter was no problem for my 47hp 2wd and I had the tractor wheels set at 60" tread width accordingly. I'm thinking the new JD planter is going to be too heavy for the 47hp so I plan on using my 95hp 4wd tractor. So here's the question... The tread width on the 95hp is currently set at 64" in the rear and whatever it is in the front to make the centers of the front and rear track the same. I can rearrange the rear ballasted tires, cast iron weights, and centers to get closer to the ideal 60" tread width for the planter but does it matter enough to go through all that when I'd prefer the little wider stance for everything else? FWIW, keeping it the way it is would result in a 6" clearance inside the tire width and 4" clearance outside the tire width from the center of the planter boxes on either side of the tires. Any row crop experts out there with some advice for this newbie?

Well, I pull my 6 row 7000 with dry fert with a 60hp tractor and feel I have plenty of power in my rolling hills, so I wouldnt give up on the 47hp tractor so easy, unless the
hyd are older or such. This doesnt answer your question tho.

Sounds like your 95hp is going to be weighted down quite a bit, that might cause an issue, in wetter years maybe.

Id still try it if you are only off 2 inches.

I do believe my 60hp tractor is set up also on 64 inches, as I used it in both 38 and 30 inch rows for spraying, back when I was wide corn and narrower beans.....

Paul

Thanks! Id prefer the open station 47hp, it has plenty of hyd pressure along with flow rate and may give it a try. The other thing I didnt mention was the new (to me) 7000 comes with a Vanguard VM-2600 monitor and the seller said I probably wouldnt be able to hear it without it being in a cab tractor. So that was the other factor that made me look at using my bigger tractor. I have a ram mount right in front of me for the Outback Lite I use for spaying with the 47 though, so chances are I would probably notice any warnings that popped up on the monitor.

It will be.fine. I've got a neighbor who
pulls a 31x16 row Kinze with a Case IH
Magnum that has 20.5 rear tires. They all
but plant in the tire track. The soybean
splitters plant in the tire tracks. And
you can tell it if is to wet. But if dry
can't tell it. But we did pull a 6 row
Kinze no-till with a 50 engine hp. 4320 JD
Compact. It is 4 wheel drive. Set the
cruise on 5 mph.
cvphoto80972.jpg

I prefer my open station 60 hp tractor for planting (most days, when it started snowing a few years ago...). Hear the monitor fine.

Paul

Thanks to everyone for all the replies. Thinking Ill try to use the 47hp first and if that doesnt work as well as hoped Ill switch over to the 95hp and not worry about changing my tread width as the consensus seems to be. I appreciate all the help.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back