Need advice on removing mower blades

Got an old Woods RM59 that I can't get 2 of the 3 blades off (so far). Middle one came off with impact so I know they are left handed bolts. I've been soaking in PB Blaster for a couple of days now. Air compressor impact set at 110 lbs is not breaking them loose. My question is if I try the torch method where should I hit it with the flame? On the bolt head or on the spindle? Seems like if on the bolt head it will expand the bolt inside the spindle which would make it worse?? I'm leery of heating the spindle as well.
I've had the same problem. I use a pipe slipped over the blade to keep it from turning, then a breaker bar with a "lonnngg" pipe cheater and it will come off. I recommend using a 6 sided socket to keep from rounding the bolt head edges. I truly believe it is the "bellows" washers that are used on those mowers that causes the problem. I have several mowers that use just a flat washer and never have a problem. Plus, on my woods mower, there are multiple bellows washers on each blade and it is truly amazing how tight those things get.

Last edited:
150 PSI didn't break them but a long pry bar did. I have a set of 3/4 sockets and I put a 3 ft length of 1 inch pipe on the end of the breaker and they popped loose. Now I'm confused that the 3 spindles all look different. Maybe one or more have been replaced with a different style. Here is pics of them left to right. The left one has a rubbery washer covering and it had a big washer between spindle and blade. The middle one has a recessed spindle and a small washer. The right has a large covering (that doesn't want to come off) on the end of the spindle and no washer. And all 3 bolts are different lengths??
Put back together with anti-seize.

Got an old Woods RM59 that I can't get 2 of the 3 blades off (so far). Middle one came off with impact so I know they are left handed bolts. I've been soaking in PB Blaster for a couple of days now. Air compressor impact set at 110 lbs is not breaking them loose. My question is if I try the torch method where should I hit it with the flame? On the bolt head or on the spindle? Seems like if on the bolt head it will expand the bolt inside the spindle which would make it worse?? I'm leery of heating the spindle as well.
I run about 130 psi and I thought my CP air gun was pretty good. It didn't often take the woods blades off. Aluminum pipes and frustration ensued. I got a 20 volt Dewalt and it spins them right off. I am afraid of over tightening things now.

I've been researching this old mower I got. Watching utubes on restoring or fixing one etc. I can't believe the prices I'm seeing on various parts. Over $200 for a spindle assembly! Everything seems OK on my mower but I won't know for sure until I hook it up and let her spin.

I've been researching this old mower I got. Watching utubes on restoring or fixing one etc. I can't believe the prices I'm seeing on various parts. Over $200 for a spindle assembly! Everything seems OK on my mower but I won't know for sure until I hook it up and let her spin.
As long as the spindle shaft and housing are good, you can rebuild them many many times. Just some bearings and seals for a lot less

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back