Need advice on repairing exhaust system on Ford 601 Work

I inherited a Ford 601 Workmaster tractor at the age of forty nine. Never drove it much, it was my Dad's and he would barely let me touch the thing except to help him fuel it and hook or unhook the scrape up to it once in a while.

Since Ive inherited it, Ive learned how to drive it and maintain it. Unfortunately, Ive had a few mishaps with it and one is Ive broken off the vertical exhaust pipe twice. I live in a forested area (old tobacco farm) and if I take it off road much I have
to be super careful about clipping tree branches or large saplings or I can break the vertical exhaust pipe.

The last time I broke it was this past June and yesterday got around to taking the broken parts off the tractor (lots of liquid wrench). I took off something I cant find in ANY of the 601 manuals or that are listed in the online vintage tractor parts
supply stores. Its this part:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294298078265?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-
0&mkcid=2&itemid=294298078265&targetid=1263094003346&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9009641&poi=&campaignid=10454522294&mkgroupid=121089751606&rlsatarget=pla-
1263094003346&abcId=2146002&merchantid=114710580&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-NaJBhDsARIsAAja6dOMoqN13PVAeWN4ZrzxY6f1nHwloiJviV0UvtVmVmgWYjygQWeb7j0aAnqLEALw_wcB

Its a joint that attaches to the tractor via two bolts, then one end inserts into the muffler and the other end you attach the vertical muffler to it.

Because I live in an area that is heavily forested, I'd like to get rid of the vertical muffler if possible and convert to an underneath exhaust system that would not clip tree branches, saplings, etc. My Grandfather had a Ford tractor with an exhaust
system like that and it was like a tank, he would take it almost anywhere offroad without having to worry about cracking off his exhaust pipe.

What parts do I need to convert it to an underneath system? Are there kits companies sell? I know I can go back to the vertical exhaust pipe system, its simple and easy. But I really want to convert it to a side and underneath exhaust system.

Give me advice, specific links to kits if any. Also, if I convert it to underneath exhaust system, would I lose any power or anything along that line?

Thanks,

Eric

Yes, the 601 and other four cylinder tractors can be configured with either a vertical or horizontal exhaust. I converted my row-crop 4000 to horizontal exhaust a few years ago, and I'm happy with the results. The row crop tractors use different exhaust components, so the parts I used won't work on a 601, but the process is basically the same. Just remove the vertical exhaust components (everything after the muffler) and replace them with the horizontal parts.

Your first stop should be the New Holland parts site, which will show you the breakdown of the horizontal exhaust. Go to <a href=https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/newhollandag/>https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/newhollandag/</a>, click on 'Model Name' and enter the model of your tractor, e.g. '641'. (601 is the series, not the model, but if you don't know the model, 641 will work.) You'll then get a list of systems to choose from; pick '01 - Engine'. Then pick '06E01 - Horizontal Exhaust System'. This will give you a parts breakdown so you can see what you'll need. Unfortunately, the New Holland site is a bit broken, so you won't be able to tell which exact part number you might need when there are multiple parts listed for the same drawing callout. But it will give you a starting point. You can also go down to your local dealer and see if the parts man can help you out. (They may have to pull out their old microfiche reader, if they haven't already tossed it in the dumpster.)

If you can get OEM parts from New Holland, that's the way I'd go. I think the aftermarket parts sold by YT and others are all made by Stanley Muffler. My experience with the fit and overall quality of the Stanley parts is not good. But if you can't get what you need from CNH, then Stanley is about your only choice. Or you can have a local muffler shop bend something up. I think you'll be happy with your horizontal exhaust.

Thanks I appreciate the detailed info. I called someone about getting the parts to convert it to an underneath exhaust system. They wanted to know if my 601 is a four or five speed and also whether its transmission is select o speed or not before they could assign me the part numbers.

I thought it was a four speed, but wasnot 100%.

So I dug out my Dad's tractor paperwork and found the following:

1) Ford 601 Workmaster

2) model 641 as you mentioned

3) model 641s are not selectospeed

4)it has five gears. It has a reverse gear and four forward gears.

Does that mean it's four gears or five? Does the reverse gear count as a fifth gear or not?

Only count forward gears. 641 is a four speed. 651 is five speed with non live PTO. 661 is a five speed with live PTO. 671 and 681 are both Select-o-speed.

Can't see why the transmission would make a difference on the exhaust system. This site sells the pipes you need. Steiner tractor parts dot com and nnalert may also have what you need.

What tractorguy said. Likely the parts are the same or at least close enough to be interchangeable for the different models.

By the way, the Ford Board is the best place on YT to post questions about your 641. That's where the Ford experts hang out.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back