need an assist looking at a 4-175

MikeO-WI

Found a 4-175 White in a barn that has not been run in 5 years per the owner. It as a red strip and the serial number is 299884-422. Radiator is holding antifreeze but there are some issues. Apparently the farmer net his neighbor use it to do some heavy tillage work one fall. When he was done he parked it in the owners barn and told him it had a fuel leak. This appears correct since the fuel tank is empty, almost bone dry. Some of the other items I found including the engine oil barely touching the bottom of the dipstick. It is also very black for the barely 1/4 that shows. I don't know how short the oil may be but it looks like it was parked that way. The owner said he gave the neighbor a new oil filter and he was supposed to change the oil. Looks like that didn't happen and they also ran it low.

There is no hydraulic dipstick, the hole was plugged with a makeshift plastic plug. No oil could be seen. The front differential dipstick also didn't show any oil. Most disturbing was the three speed dipstick had no oil and the stick was tarnished with an almost rust looking color. No mice nests in the air cleaner.

Batteries are dead but he hooked up a battery charger so I could see the read out screen. It came up in a sporadic mode calling off codes like c31 32 40 41 45 79 81 76 70 80 82 18 79 84 ccc 901 908 101 47 90 2 33 67 97 73 and so on. It just kept flashing numbers, so many I took a video of it. I will admit I am not familiar with this specific model or the computer system utilized. It looks like the codes are cycling through citing everything that is not working or wrong with it. Without a cheat sheet to see the codes I am at a loss.

It has 3584 hours on the meter and looks like a nice heavy duty tractor. However there are way too many red flags especially the engine oil and 3 speed oil. Is there anything good regarding this barn find or should I just walk away. They want way to much $ for a non-running beast. Looking for insights.... My biggest concern is the engine oil. Looks like the neighbor ran it into the ground and parked it. I suspect that he may have known something else was wrong because he didn't ask to use it again after parking it.

Based on the serial number it was second to last one built in 1981.

I know nothing about them, but from your description, it sounds like you should run away from it to me!

Rare is rare, big and heavy is always more expensive, and this seller knows what he has is hard to find. It sure sounds like it could be a money pit in multiple places. What will you do with it, fix it up and use it - that could be very expensive or clean it up and put it in a collection on light parade duty nearly as-is? It sounds a lot like buying a big old bulldozer in rough shape.

At this point spending several hundred dollars for the factory service manuals could be the least inexpensive part of it, and maybe provide some entertaining reading. Manuals can easily be re-sold if you don't buy the tractor.

For a case like that decide what you would give, write it on a piece of paper with your phone number. Tell him to give you a call when he figures out nobody else will buy it for more.

If you really want it, find out a weight, multiply it by local scrap price per ton, and there's your price. If tires are shot, deduct for tires, if the tires are good, you might bump a few hundred over scrap. You're buying a pig in a poke.

My two bits, yes u could run away from it, but I think the idea of scrap prices plus, with your phone number and a timed offer would be best.
Just for grins, look at tractorhouse, and just see the other machines out there and what they think they're worth!
Then your project here, might not be so bad, can you visit the other neighbor off site, and ask for his opinion of the machine, call the owner's bluff so to speak? GG

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back