Need Help: 69 JD 4020 Injection Pump Leak

Recently purchased this 1969 JD 4020, noticed what appeared to be a leak on one of the banjo fittings on the injection pump. The one in the pic with the wrench on it is the one I thought was leaking.

When the tractor is running, there is a noticable spray that is coming somewhere from around 12 o'clock on the injection pump.

I replaced the washers on three of the banjo fittings, confident I got them tight and could hear the metal to metal crunch as they got tight.

Started the tractor and the spray/leak is still there. I took a 5 second video and you can see the spray at about 12 o'clock on the top of the injection pump.

Question #1: Is it possible to remove the post that goes to the foot throttle (not sure what it is called), if I could remove that post I could get much better access to the top of the injection pump.

Question #2: Does that dome looking thing on the top of the injection pump removable? And is there a gasket under it?

Thanks for everyone's help! Included a pic of the tractor for those that have not seen it.

Leaking at base of banjo fitting that has wrench on it
mvphoto59092.jpg

Short Video
[video play=false:4f994ea088]https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/videos/mvvideo59088.mov[/video:4f994ea088]

My Tractor
mvphoto59089.jpg

Be real careful around those leaks, can squirt through skin and give you a lot of heartache, wear leather gloves. There should be a hardened steel washer on both sides of the banjo, I would go with a softer steel or brass. Some others on here know the part numbers.

I prefer the CAV DPA 5936 332C mild steel washers, they will seal better than the hard Stanadyne/Roosa washers do. Replace both with CAV washers, seat the cap nut, go 1/2
turn more and done. DON'T attempt to remove the throttle control tube as it will most likely leak after. There's an O ring for the round cap, I would not remove it
either..

Thanks Dieseltech. I got my washers from greenpartstore, not sure what kind I have. Maybe the picture shows what kind of washers I received.

One thing I noticed is the washers have a flat side and a round side. Meaning there is a top and bottom to the washer. The service manual does not even cover removal or replacement of the banjo fittings. Could you tell me which side of the washer goes against the fitting?

Thanks!
Kurt

mvphoto59197.jpg

(quoted from post at 11:17:40 07/27/20) Flat and rounded edges are due to the stamping process, makes no difference how they are installed as each side must seal.

Thanks, not sure why I still have the leak then, I guess I will replace them again. The one that I think is leaking is the hardest one to get to. I can get a socket on the rest, but that one I can only get about half depth on a box end wrench.

Thanks Dieseltech, worked on the banjo fittings yesterday and no leaks. I scratched the head of the bolt and did a half turn after metal to metal and it worked great. Thanks !!!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back