need help on ditching process

rd99

Member
I'm trying to re-make a ditch/creek on my property that has filled in over time.

Maple trees have grown around the ditch and roots are everywhere.

I can't use the dirt scoop since it gets stopped by all of the roots.

What can I use to bust up the roots and cut them out?

Before getting the dirt scoop, I put my 5' rear blade on and put it at it's most angled rotation position and also used the crank on the lift arm to lower the forward part of the rear blade down. That did a decent job of cutting the roots on one side of the ditch, however I think I'd be better off using a deeper cutting device and make a pass on both sides of the ditch.

Is this where a subsoiler or a middle buster thing comes into play? I don't want to use my double bottomed plow since I think that would get stuck on some of the roots that are deeper down.
 
Two options come to my mind.
1-Trencher, commonly known by brand name of "Ditchwitch"
2-Backhoe
Either one should get thru the roots, but the backhoe may need some help cutting themonce uncovered. Trenchers can be rented at rental stores. They will cut thru almost anything underground including electric, gas, water, sewer, and other utilities.
 
All Purpose Plow


plow-2.jpg"



Plow5.jpg"
 
I have 5 tines, some folks have more, but 5 is about enough for an 8N.

You can also mix and match how many you want to run, and what kind of feet you want to put on it, and how much angle you want to use for attack, on it with the top link.

With just the front 2 feet, and with the top link shortened, it would probably do a pretty good job on your roots, according to how big they are.

If you can shorten the top link enough to get enough angle, only the front two would be digging, without removing the back ones, at least until you got it tore up some.

All Purpose Plows, are a very good investment, and great reason for buying another toy.. :-)

I plowed up my sweet potatoes with it to.

image08.jpg"
 
Now why did you go and show me that picture with the drag behind the all purpose spring shank plow????? Now I'm going to have to put one behind mine!

Zane
 
Zane, it is the top half of a rail road track, split down the middle.

The whole piece of rail road track was just too much.
 
I hunted for some RR track,,, found it but did not wanna git locked up,,, well to heavy fer me to load up,,,I don't think they kin do enny thang if ya just check'n to see iffin you can pick it up,,, a 10ft piece it lafth at me,,, 3/8" X 4X4 angle iron done the trick
 
I may have some extra.

Zane is probably closer to me.

I'll have to check, the Ole Lady's kids seem to make things I know I had in my scrap yard, dissapear, without my permission.
 
Seaboard cost line joins my property,,, seam's all the unattended tracks left lay'n around I kin not pick up,,, See'n as they are 1/4 mile sections I mite start eat'n wheaties,, they just re did a cross'n near by,,, mite have missed the boat,,, shore nuff had my eyes on a 10 ft section I got my share of old RR spikes tho.

RR men git rite nasty if ya git caught,,, rather have the FBI on my arse
 
I use a middle buster for my ditching work, BUT it requires you to get the tractor astride the ditch, which may not be too easy if you have trees real close. Also don't have any big roots, so I don't if it handle yours or not.
 
I saw a guy make a helluva ditch w/ a whole bunch of little round tan sticks all hooked together with some spindly little wire....It was pretty spectacular, and made a dandy ditch. It also caused quite a stir in the neighborhood. He had the right license and permits, so he was okay and it made for some pretty good coffeeshop conversation.
The ditch? Well, it was probably 6' wide and 4' deep. Tossed out roots, rocks, a few chipmunks, (some reassembly required), and only took about 4 hours of drilling and stuffing. Best way to make a ditch I ever saw!
 
rd...
I have a run of the mill subsoiler like they sell at TSC & have used it
several times. The first thing I noticed with it was that it did a
SUPER job ripping up tree roots. They cost ~$100, lot cheaper than
a back hoe. Run a subsoiler thru your ditch several times then use
your rear scoop to scoop up everything you tear up.

george
 
rd....I use a middlebuster to break up & dig into hard stuff....

<a href="http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a167/lonestarjeff/?action=view&current=fergusonplowmiddlebuster012.jpg" target="_blank">
fergusonplowmiddlebuster012.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket
</a>

It will rip thru roots to a point, but you'll still need the scoop to clean out the ditch. Sharp edges help alot on the roots.

Jeff
 
Thanks for the help guys, I will go the subsoiler/middle buster route. (I can use it to dig potatoes and other stuff too).
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top