Need help with ford 801 select o speed

Oldsam

New User
I have a Ford 801 Selecto speed that moves fine in all the gears when I first start it up then it will barely move unless I increase the RPMs quite a bit. I changed the oil on it and checked the pressure at the test points underneath the left foot rest. Got around 120 psi at both test ports.
Also, in the past, my lift would take several minutes before it would start to work, and now it will not work at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
 
120 is too low, you want 180 min. Dirty PRV or worn pump would be my first inclination. You do not want to start wrench turning until you have the appropriate service manual and service addendum.
 
I have a Ford 801 Selecto speed that moves fine in all the gears when I first start it up then it will barely move unless I increase the RPMs quite a bit. I changed the oil on it and checked the pressure at the test points underneath the left foot rest. Got around 120 psi at both test ports.
Also, in the past, my lift would take several minutes before it would start to work, and now it will not work at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
The I&T F0-20 Service Manual has chapter on the S-O-S that covers the '01 Series.

Your Mileage May Vary,
Tim Daley (MI)
 

Attachments

  • I & T FO-20 MANUAL - AA FRONT COVER.jpeg
    I & T FO-20 MANUAL - AA FRONT COVER.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 130
  • I & T FO-20 MANUAL - PG 80.jpeg
    I & T FO-20 MANUAL - PG 80.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 116
The 3 point lift is a completely separate system from the S-O-S transmission. They each have their own separate pump and reservoir. The issue with your 3 point lift sounds like it may have a leak on the suction side of the pump so that it's sucking air. The suction and pressure tubes for the 3 point system do pass through the transmission to get to the pump , so it is possible that the pressure line has started leaking and the pump has pumped all of the fluid for the hydraulics sump into the transmission. Have you checked the level of the fluid in the 3 point hydraulics reservoir? There should be a small dipstick on the left side to check that level. Also check the level of the fluid in the transmission. I'm not sure where it is on that transmission, but the level check should be just a hole with a pipe plug in it on the one side or the other of the trans. Be sure to have a drain pain under it when you remove it, because if the hydraulics sump has been emptied into the transmission, then there will be quite a bit of fluid coming out when you remove that plug.
 
Also mean to add, depending on what kind of fluid that you use int he hydraulics sump, that fluid transferring to the transmission could be contributing to the issues with the transmission.
 
I have a Ford 801 Selecto speed that moves fine in all the gears when I first start it up then it will barely move unless I increase the RPMs quite a bit. I changed the oil on it and checked the pressure at the test points underneath the left foot rest. Got around 120 psi at both test ports.
Also, in the past, my lift would take several minutes before it would start to work, and now it will not work at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
As for lift, it sounds like the system is losing prime. First check that fluid level is correct. To check prime take out the hex plug on the pump (with tractor not started), disable ignition (so tractor won't start), and run the starter. If hydraulic fluid pulses out of plug hole you have prime. Otherwise you may have an air leak on the suction side.
The I&T F0-20 Service Manual has chapter on the S-O-S that covers the '01 Series.

Your Mileage May Vary,
Tim Daley (MI)
You likely can get by with the I&T manual but if you have an SOS the Ford Service Manual SE8175 is much better. It starts with a late SOS supplement which is 69 pages. It also has the earlier SOS chapter later in the manual with a similar number of pages. Of course all other systems such as engine and hydraulics are covered.

FordSE8175Manual.jpg

FordSE8175TitlePage.jpg
 
The later supplemental section for the S-O-S is for the later direct-drive clutch (DDC) version of the transmission that was introduced on the 4 cylinder 2000 and 4000 series. The earlier S-O-S transmissions that ere originally used in the '01 series had and over-running clutch (ORC) . Ford offered a free replacement program, so many of the earlier ORC transmissions have been replaced with the later DDC trans. If your S-O-S is the original ORC version, only use the original section of the service manual. If it has the later DDC transmission then use the supplemental section.
 
I checked both oil levels and they were ok. The transmission oil level on the transmission was running out the check hole just a bit. First thing I had done was change it. The small screen that filters the oil at the bottom of the case is starting to deteriorate. Can you get a replacement for those? I also popped off the top transmission cover and inspected the control valve for any stuck valves and it was fine. I would like to replace the gaskets but I haven’t been able to find any online for the control valve. Someone had mentioned my pressure readings were off and I see in the IT shop manual it says 170 to 190 so I’m may need to check that again how much should my pressure readings change with my RPMs?
I took apart the external hydraulic pump and didn’t see any obvious bad signs of where, and so put it back together and primed it.
Again, thanks for everyone’s help. I do appreciate it.
 
Whoops I should’ve inspected my voice to text a little better. Should say “signs of wear” on the hydraulic pump statement.
 
I checked both oil levels and they were ok. The transmission oil level on the transmission was running out the check hole just a bit. First thing I had done was change it. The small screen that filters the oil at the bottom of the case is starting to deteriorate. Can you get a replacement for those? I also popped off the top transmission cover and inspected the control valve for any stuck valves and it was fine. I would like to replace the gaskets but I haven’t been able to find any online for the control valve. Someone had mentioned my pressure readings were off and I see in the IT shop manual it says 170 to 190 so I’m may need to check that again how much should my pressure readings change with my RPMs?
I took apart the external hydraulic pump and didn’t see any obvious bad signs of where, and so put it back together and primed it.
Again, thanks for everyone’s help. I do appreciate it.
I had the same problem with the screen on the SOS oil pick-up. Screen was deteriorating and actually passed some fragments of the wire into the control valve, resulting in sticking valves and loss of various gears. That doesn't sound like your current problem, but something to be aware of. I repaired the screen using JB weld, (Hey, it's still working...). I also have a screen purchased off of eBay for the next time I change fluid. I saw a screen come up on eBay recently, it might still be available (I just looked and there are two available).
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top