NEED SOME ADVISE ON TOUCH O MATIC OIL

OK I have a Model M , I just purchased and I am changing all the oils . The book calls for 10w motor oil on the Touch O Matic system . When I drained the TOM system I got what looks like ATF it was a red color. would that be the JD hydraulic oil from the dealer? or did the PO use ATF? I cannot find 10 or 20 wt non-detergent oil . I can find 30wt N.D., can I use that ? I have no leaks and the system seems to work good, Thanks for you responses.

steve

Tractor supply sells 10, 20, & 30 weight. I would try and get
non-detergent no matter what otherwise I think it will foam up
in the system. I think 30 would be fine but might be a bit thick
for winter use.

You may be right, but, I've been using 10-30 for 25 yrs. in my Power-trol unit without any problems. Current oil specs are WAY better lubricating wise than that was used 'back in the day'.

(quoted from post at 08:15:17 06/12/12) OK I have a Model M , I just purchased and I am changing all the oils . The book calls for 10w motor oil on the Touch O Matic system . When I drained the TOM system I got what looks like ATF it was a red color. would that be the JD hydraulic oil from the dealer? or did the PO use ATF? I cannot find 10 or 20 wt non-detergent oil . I can find 30wt N.D., can I use that ? I have no leaks and the system seems to work good, Thanks for you responses.

steve

I use 30w non-detergent in my 420, 430 and 435 with good results.

Thanks guys for all the advise, it was very helpful. As or as going to Tractor Supply the nearest one from where I live is over 300 miles, I like the Idea of using 30 wt non detergent , I can get that. and it don't get any colder than 25 where I live . I don't use the JD for plowing snow. Any opinions on the red ATF that was in the system? if that is what it was.

ATF is not something I would use but heck who knows what was put in there. I would could also be wrong about the non-detergent oil foaming as well if Bob has had experience with it being OK. I do think they 30wt will do fine for you. I just know I had my T-O-M leak back into my engine when the seal on the pump went filling the engine with oil from the system. Thats they main reason I use the 10 and 20 weight oil. If you can get 30 wt and thats what you will run in both the T-O-M and engine then you should be good if a leak happens.

How can foaming motor oil be a problem in a hydraulic system when foam detergent motor oil is not a problem in a motor? It"s 2012 , not 1941. Use Hy-Gard , must have a jug of it around for the other tractors?

I could be very wrong here but Hy-Gard is not meant to lubricate like an engine oil is and has a different additive package than an oil. I always was told it has different anti-foam agents, higher viscosity, and improved moisture tolerance over motor oil. That being said I wouldn't use it in a tractor with the T-O-M where the seal between the pump and motor is likely to fail after 50-60 years like happened on my MT. Most of the oil in the T-O-M drained into my engine over a few weeks of sitting while not in use. I would rather it be oil than Hy-Gard that could leak back into the engine in case the seal lets go again. A small insurance policy for the engine and for minimal improvement in T-O-M performance IMO.

I give on the foam in a T-O-M tractor. With a system with such low pressure it probably wouldn't matter. I guess I should have clarified in high pressure applications foam will diminsh the amount of available pressure. I haven't ever seen a hydraulic fluid or UTF that doesn't have anti-foam properties listed as a reason why that brand is superior over others.

Not trying to pick a fight with anyone or say anyone else is wrong. There are many of you guys on here who have done this much longer than I and have worked at dealerships so please feel free to point out where my theory is wrong.

Could be ATF, Marvel, old oil & rust but there's no mistaking the smell of ATF. Doesn't matter really as long as you get it all out.

I would use the 30wt non detergent motor oil. 20wt ND or 30wt ND is what your tractor actually needs - NOT the 10 that was in there when it was new.

Can you use Hyguard, HD motor oil, ATF, Peanut oil? Yep, you can throw pert near anything in there & it will work to a degree and for a while. It's the how well & how long before it blows your seals that matters. You won't find anything better for your TOM or cheaper than plain old non detergent motor oil so why not use it?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back