Needing part for 268 NH baler

34Case

Im needing the gear wheel that sits off on the R side and operates the pickup. I think its a 23 or 24 tooth gear I dont know for sure cause, I think somebody knocked a section out between the spokes to make putting on the chain easier. Is there any baler salvage yards i could call to try and get that gear? Thanks. After 4yrs, and taking it to one NH dealer which cost me $940, then this guy toda which was another NH dealer mechanic, which cost, so far $500, and I paid $600 for it, The guy who came out today got it to tie. Theres a flat piece under the knotter, that sashayes from one knotter to the other, that wasnt sashaying properly. Simple enough to fix. IF u knew what to look for.

Unless I'm completely misinterpreting, you're referring to the pickup drive 'sprocket' (for chain), not a 'gear'. Replaced mine a few years ago because the teeth were so worn. It's just a standard roller chain sprocket - RC40 if I remember right (might be RC60?). Measure the chain pitch between pins - RC40 is half inch, RC60 is 3/4".

The original has a slightly different hub than a standard sprocket, but you should be able to make a standard hub work. Any industrial supply, or even TSC should have one. Might have to get it bored and keyed to size at a machine shop, but most places like TSC offer weld-in hubs in a variety of bores, so you just pick the sprocket for the chain type and tooth count you need, pick the hub with the correct bore/key, weld them together, and you're good.

As to your last, u sayin I just find the right sprocket, and weld it to the axle or hub shaft, RIGHT?

As to your last, u sayin I just find the right sprocket, and weld it to the axle or hub shaft, RIGHT?
This is what he is referring to. You get the correct sprocket and the weld in hub that will fit the shaft.

Will comment on your other mention of the baler not tying, and that the NH mechanic adjusted a flat piece under the knotter, which was probably the twine finger. Hopefully you have an operator manual which addresses this and yes, it is pretty simple and frustrating to pay someone $100 an hour to fix it. Also your comment about paying $600 for the baler, reminds me of a humorous yet largely true comment a fellow poster once wrote "All square balers cost about $3000." Meaning if you buy one for $600, you likely may have to put $2400 in to it to have a dependable operating baler.

This is what he is referring to. You get the correct sprocket and the weld in hub that will fit the shaft.
The original sprocket has 23 teeth and 2040 chain is used, which is "extended pitch chain" (has half as many links as standard #40 chain and is used for light-duty applications).

To use a generic 40 pitch sprocket it would need to have 46 teeth.

p4zblpb.jpeg

Im needing the gear wheel that sits off on the R side and operates the pickup. I think its a 23 or 24 tooth gear I dont know for sure cause, I think somebody knocked a section out between the spokes to make putting on the chain easier. Is there any baler salvage yards i could call to try and get that gear? Thanks. After 4yrs, and taking it to one NH dealer which cost me $940, then this guy toda which was another NH dealer mechanic, which cost, so far $500, and I paid $600 for it, The guy who came out today got it to tie. Theres a flat piece under the knotter, that sashayes from one knotter to the other, that wasnt sashaying properly. Simple enough to fix. IF u knew what to look for.
I havea NH68 parts baler so I could have one on hand. I'm in Missouri the Lake of the Ozarks area

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back