NeedTowmotor experts

edevoll

New User
This message is a reply to an archived post by barryinmn on August 03, 2005 at 12:01:48.
The original subject was "Re: Any Towmotor experts out there?".

I just acquired an old Towmotor 351S Forklift and have not been able to determine what kind of engine it has. Forklift dealers can't seem to help me either. Model 351s2024 4 cyl L head gas.
Needing head gasket and some valves.
I know the earlier version model 350 used a Continental N62 but this thing is very different.
Any help would be appreciated.
ed
 
Well, "old" is a relative term...old, to me, is early 30s and back...old to my son is 80"s and back....
Anyhow, while what little I have on "older" Towmotors (apparently acquired by Cat?) shows various Cont"s, there"s some 75-80 (no model given) with a Perkins G4-236 "& CD Ign", a 66-73 with Wauk ICK, and I saw one with a Ford Ind"l somewhere.
Unfortunately, nothing I have lists a 351 with an engine ID.
If nothing turns up, try again with a pic or better desc of the engine. Good luck.
 
noncompos,
Thank you for the reply. I'll take your advice and see if I can upload a page from the parts book. Parts book showes the engine as merely part no: 99500.
Unique thing about this engine is the hump in the valve cover gasket. This is for the water inlet from the water pump mounted on the back side of the govenor. Also the cylinder head seperates from the crankcase even tho it's an L Head.
v61.jpg
 
Actually, I meant a pic of the actual engine, if it's open enough to get one. I'm not familiar with what they look like, but others here are.
If that parts book has any kind of general introduction paragraphs or such that you haven't checked, read them, as there's sometimes a mention of the make of the engine.
What's the bore and stroke, and cid given?? Mag or dist? if dist, comes out of head, out of block, driven off water pump etc drive?
"Cyl head separates from crankcase..." You mean head comes off "block", then "block" separates from a cast crankcase that holds oil, that it doesn't have the conventional thin steel oil pan?
 
Thanks again for the reply,
Yes, the crankcase seperates from the part shown in the picture. Crankcase does have a tin oil pan also.
Engine is still installed in the forklift so isn"t possible to take a picture at this time. Book doesn"t show bore and stoke. I can say it will be in the 60 cubic inch range. Another similar model lift has an N62 Continental that looks very much the same size as this engine.
Distributor mounts on the left side of the block.
Another interesting feature is the fan mounts on a bracket that bolts to the top of the head.

Any hint as to the make will be appreciated.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top