New Holland 268 baler

isuvinny

Has anyone pulled the plunger and replaced knives and
bearings on a New Holland 268? I have watched a couple
YouTube videos on it and it looks doable. I would
appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Very doable. Just go slow and remove everything that needs removeing. It should slide right out. Enlist some help as it is heavy once it is on the ground. Be extra careful. They can cut off fingers in an instant.I just did the plunger in my baler. Still have all my fingers!

That job is gravy. I had the plunger out on my 268, rollers changed, knives sharpened & back in in an afternoon. Then snapped off the roller on top of the plunger & had to do it all over. That's a common one to fail, so check it out when you have it out. NH has.... or at least had a kit so you can weld a new mount on the plunger for the roller.

Mike

I have a 273, not a bad job to get out but harder to get back in. You have to retract the dogs top and bottom and some way to support the connecting rod so it doesn't catch going in.

I have a broken knife and I found knives with shims online but I dont know which bearings to get. There are a lot online and the prices vary quite a bit. I prefer aftermarket to save a little $. This baler doesnt do many bales anymore. Does anyone have part numbers for the rollers? Thanks.

Still got the old bearings?There is a number stamped on them. Also you can measure them.A bearing house;NAPA,etc can take the number and cross it.If all else fails,go see the dealer.

PN 165484 or 47577176. Messick's shows they have 100+ in stock at $44.72 ea. Hopefully you can find cheaper. It wasn't 1/3 that price when I bought them from New Holland 10 years ago.

All the bearings on the plunger should be the same.

Mike

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back