New Holland 275 cuts twine

LittleO

New User
Hello, new to farming. Bought a small farm, came with equipment like a 275 baler. It sat outside for 15 years or so. Used it this year to bale 12+ acres of bromegrass. It did ok for 50-60 of loosely packed bales. I adjusted it to make tighter bales but then it started cutting the twine 1" behind the knot on the right side. The knot is good. Sometimes it didn't cut all the way trough the twine but enough it would break when picked up. It does fine if I'm not feeding hay into it when it ties meaning I had to watch the trip lever and stop the tractor to wait for it to trip the knotter or trip it manually. Not sure if its a timing issue if its .making good knots. I hand tied 75% of the bales. Two days to bale 12+ acres. My kids collected the bales.
I bought a 315 with a #58 kicker so the 275 is just sitting. Could be backup or sell. Thanks for any input.

Probably something protrudeing into the chamber catching the twine.Or something sharp cutting the string..carefully examine the twine 'route' for sharp edges,grooves,things that
would interfer with twine 'flow'.I had a problem like that on a 282 I once owned. Would randomly break a string almost exactly 16" from the knot.I looked/hunted,scratched my
head....Finally found it,the PO had replaced a bolt holding the lower rail in. Used too long a bolt,let the threads protrude into thesrting path. Every oncein a while it simply get
caught by the bolt. As the hay was fed inti the machine,the string would just get stretched till it broke.Drove me crazy. the way I found it was I looked at just the right moment it
got caught and it broke.You need a book. Order one today.Aduust everything by the book,in the order of the book and unless ithas broken or bent parts it will tie like a new one.that
will have a trouble shooting guide with pictures,and how to fix.A baler is too complicated to just wing it. About 35 bucks.

Well when the 315 starts not tieing, are you gonna go buy a different baler? Nearly ALL balers at sometime will present the owner
with a problem, usually knotter problems. Get a NH book for your 275 and work thru the trouble shooting process. Then you will have
a back-up or a very sale able machine. While your at it, buy a book for the 315, you will need it eventually, if not, it was
insurance well spent. gobble

The New Holland manual has a set of pictures of different knotter problems (which end has the knot, or where it is cut, etc) Looking thru
these pictures is very helpful in finding the problem. Packing too tight a bale can result in a failed knot, but usually the knot breaks or
pulls apart rather than being cut.

I agree with poster below, in addition any spot where twine does not flow easily, ie worn spots in needles, twine carriers ow even in tensioner can cause a problem. Reason it didn't bother as much when you did loose bales was there wasn't the tension on bale. If using plastic twine, it is more abrasive than sisel. What happens is twine gets a nick in it then when bale gets tension on it it breaks. I also agree that if you are going to use it get an operator's manual.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back