New holland 281 Square baler

Hey guys, I have been a visitor here for many years, love reading along and gleaning info from the site.

I have done a lot of round baling in the past as a hired hand, just recently purchased a New Holland 281 square baler off of a retired local farmer. I have the manual and have already replaced some broken and bent pick up teeth, and done some greasing.

He said it was last used two years ago and baled great. It appears to have new needles on it, and the knotters look great. I would like to check the timing and my first question is, in the manual when it talks about turning the baler over by hand, does it need to be in baling position or can the tongue be in transport mode?

My second question is about the upper feed reel. It appears to have been disconnected long ago by removing the chain, it is all there and has little to no wear. Is it needed? Should I hook it up and time it?

I am the third owner and hope to get some use out of it here on my small Kentucky farm.

NH 281 is a pretty good baler, not as fast as some later models but does a good job of baling when adjusted. I have 2 of them both wire, one that I used and the other for parts on my 282. To time you should be able to roll it over by hand with hitch in transport position. If it is PTO it may flop around but you can work with it. BE sure after setting the timing you also set the knotter stop and make sure knotter brake is engaging correctly. That is generally the reason for new needles. By the upper feeder I am assuming you mean the short tines that pull hay in from the feeder area to the back where the feeder fork picks it up. I have never run my baler without it working. May not be needed in sorme types of hay as maybe the pickup tines will push the hay back enough. I can't see that it would hurt anything to be hooked up but I suppose you could try it without and see how it works.

You can time the baler with the baler tongue in transport mode.

If it has new needles - be VERY careful. Check and double check the plunger stop and make sure it's free and working. Also
make sure the needle carriage brake is working - if not, the carriage can bounce into the bale chamber and the needles break
on a plunger stroke.

As to the "upper feed reel" - not sure what you mean. If it is the chain with two large sprockets that move the feeder tines
side to side - to slide the hay into the bale chamber, the chain has to be connected and timed.

The baler is similar in design to my old 68 - very easy to time this type of baler.

Below is a link to a video of New Holland knotters and how they work - for reference.

Good luck,
Bill
New Holland Knotter Video

What is the best way to check the plunger stop for operation? And the upper feed reel that I was referring to are the tines that set above the pick up and carry hay into the feed tines. The chain that drives them was in a bag in the tool box and the sprockets and idler look as if they were never used. hopefully i can post a pick later. Thanks for your help.

Yes that is the Upper feed Reel that i was referring to. It looks as if it were never used. I may try it without it, but would prefer to have it fully operational. thanks for your input. I am glad places like this forum exist, I plan to check it out thoroughly but the manual leaves a few things out it appears.

Plunger stop will enter the bale chamber when needles are in there . Roll her over by hand and trip the knotter , you'll see .

(quoted from post at 17:21:17 05/03/16) Plunger stop will enter the bale chamber when needles are in there . Roll her over by hand and trip the knotter , you'll see .

Thanks for the info. I am working 12 hour shifts til Friday, hopefully I can work on it this weekend.

35644.jpg
here is my baler

That's a nice looking baler!

You should be able to move the plunger stop by hand. If it's frozen - big trouble is looming!

281 is a big commercial baler. Larger bale size, I think 18" by 16". The top feed may not be necessary in KY hay
conditions. Try it and see. Your manual will tell you how to adjust the new needles to fit the knotters (not difficult
but critical and time consuming), and adjust the needle safety stop (absolutely critical). I set an overturned garbage
can under the front section of the pto shaft, so I can turn the baler over by hand without the pto shaft flopping on
every revolution. You can work on the baler without it being hooked to a tractor, in fact that is much safer and less
apt to destroy the baler if it is out of time.

Looks to be in good condition. Good luck.

I had a little time to full with it last night. I turned the flywheel by hand everything seems to be turning freely. my only problem was my pto shaft flopping around on the tongue.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back