New Holland 55 hay rake

Richard G.

Friend needs a gearbox for a New Holland 55 hay rake.
Any ideas where to find one? thanks

Attachments

• New Holland 55 1.jpg
    New Holland 55 1.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 28
  • New Holland 55 2.jpg
    New Holland 55 2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 27
  • New Holland 55 3.jpg
    New Holland 55 3.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 37
Probably a salvage yard,but it's a long shot. They are pretty old.Most of the 'non users' are most likely turned into Toyotas by now.Unless you can find one in a fence row somwhere,finding another rake might be the best(or only) alternative.

Is the case cracked, or is one of the gears inside stripped out. If it's a gear, most manufacturers even as far back as the 1930's used bevel and spur gears with standard involutes and pressure angles. You may be able to measure and match it up to something offered by a place that sells standard bevel and spur hears like Martin Sprocket. I've done that for two baler gearboxes. You'll need to get it bored/keyed to size, but any machine shop can do that pretty easily.

But your friend has to consider if it's worth it. Although it pains me to say it, bar rakes don't really have much of a place anymore, now that rotary rakes are being built very robust and wheel rakes have better counterbalance mechanisms to keep the soil/rocks out of the windrow. It's unfortunate for me as I have 7 bar rakes in good condition kicking around, but if I'm honest with myself I'll never, ever go back to using a bar rake after having bought a rotary.

Friend needs a gearbox for a New Holland 55 hay rake.
Any ideas where to find one? thanks
Them gear boxes turn so slow I can't imagine there is anything wrong that can't be fixed.Broken gear? weld it back together. Missing gear teeth? form some with a welder and pencil grinder. Broken gear case? weld it back together. With them gear boxes, close is good enough.

Them gear boxes turn so slow I can't imagine there is anything wrong that can't be fixed.Broken gear? weld it back together. Missing gear teeth? form some with a welder and pencil grinder. Broken gear case? weld it back together. With them gear boxes, close is good enough.
I tend to agree with FB.

I had to replace the internal shaft and gear on my 56B years ago. NH had the part. I know that does not help much, but I hope you can come up with a solution. There are still alot of those bar rakes used in these parts, and their value has held up good. I would check with the owner of this site because they also deal in used parts. I will check a source that a neighbor of mine has used often.

Try Joe’s Machinery in Pennsylvania. 717-464-1043. Have many parts. Will probably send you a catalog.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back