New holland 5640 tractor help loosing power in high gears like I’m dragging something

Please help this is my dads tractor and he is getting where he can’t work on stuff as much as he use to I want to help but I can’t find a service manual The problem is when I’m in high gears it’s like it’s dragging something and runs out of power I was thinking maybe something in the brakes and I remembered him saying not to use the parking brake years ago. But I don’t want to start taking stuff apart without knowing what I’m doing or looking for Any help would be very appreciated

I’m not sure about free play it is a hydraulic clutch it feels like it’s bogging down not slipping and it always goes in and out of gear good

You didn't say it was a cab tractor. Have you tried cracking the brake bleeders when it does this to see if by chance fluid under any pressure at all exits from one or the other? Then drive it again and see if it's any different?

Sorry I didn’t mention it being a cab tractor. We did try adjusting the brakes and flushing and bleeding the brakes I will have to look at it tomorrow after work to see if they happen to be under pressure when it does this

Take a look at the fuel pump primer on the filter base, have someone start the engine and then increase the rpm’s, if the primer button sinks down you have a fuel restriction or the primer pump is going bad
A cousin’s 7710 had this issue last year

I will check the fuel system when I get home from work just to be sure but in low range it works just fine It’s only in mid range high gears or any gear in high range it does this. But thank you for your advice I will check

Does it feel like it’s holding back going down grade
Going down grade if you clutch the tractor does it continue at that speed or speed up, or does it slow down like the brakes are dragging
The higher the gear the more strain on the engine thus the more fuel it needs to maintain a set rpm, if fuel flow is restricted the engine will lose power
Those tractors with a good wet disc brake system, doesn’t take much drag form a lightly applied parking park to pull the engine down in the higher gears, but that’s fairly easy to check by rolling along and pushing the clutch in, then see how quick it comes to a stop

Going down hill and pushing the clutch in it does seem to slow it doesn’t stop but definitely does not seem like it is free wheeling like it should. My dad said he disconnected the parking brake cables a few years ago because it would stick and do what it feels like it’s doing now but worse

Please help this is my dads tractor and he is getting where he can’t work on stuff as much as he use to I want to help but I can’t find a service manual The problem is when I’m in high gears it’s like it’s dragging something and runs out of power I was thinking maybe something in the brakes and I remembered him saying not to use the parking brake years ago. But I don’t want to start taking stuff apart without knowing what I’m doing or looking for Any help would be very appreciated
I wouldn't rule out fuel system problems though. At speed and pulling hard my 3010s had a miss, stumble, and just wasn't right. Last 8 years. Felt like it was fuel. Just had to replace the fuel cut off solenoid due excessive leakage, and the high end miss disappeared

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back