New Member, couple of questions...

Ddaland

New User
Hi all- New Member here, though certainly not new to older tractors!
Recently bought a Ford 841 for use around my farm (and the real purpose of giving Poppy and his 2 grandsons a rebuild project in a year or two). Straight sheet metal, not much rust, engine had good compression, but wouldnt hardly run- so I rebuilt the carb, replaced the points, condensor, rotor bug and cap, cleaned and gapped the plugs. Survived the wife giving me a pull start since the starter was shot- She took off about 15 mph- and then whipped around a 135 degree turn....
Anyway. once i quit shaking from that (and giving her explicit instructions in what to do) started right up and drove it the 15 miles to my shop....
Just some questions about things I've been wondering about when I start the rebuild - have plenty of time to look at all my options...
1 Thinking about finding a Sherman 3 speed and adding to it - mainly for the lower speeds. One thing I have wondered, is that what years/models fit? Is it possible one from say the 3000/4000 series will fit? Also, if anyone has a good source for those, would greatly appreciate
2. Sure would be nice to have a independant (live) PTO, for those times when I back the brushhog into a multiflora rose thicket and just want to let the brush hog do its thing...
3 ROPS. While I've been driving tractors since I was 10 yrs old or so, want to add a ROPS since I expect grandsons to be driving it, and I know (from experience) what a teen and a tractor can tear up..
Anyway, have yet to find a bolt on ROPs fot the 801 series- any siggestions? Figure at the worst, I can fabricate one, but right now looking for a bolt on
[/url]

I've heard of that town but have no idea where it is. My 841S has a loader on it and I use it to move my big round bales of hay. I live 7 miles from Camdenton MO

There are two Sherman 3 speed transmissions, One with a 10 splined shaft fitting fitting 8N and later 4 cylinders 4 speeds to SN 14256( clutch pedal
pivoting on cross brake shaft) Other is a 15 splined shaft fitting all 4 cylinders 4 speeds after SN 14257( clutch pivot on side of transmission case) Don't
believe there was a LPTO available for the 100 series 4 speeds.

Wayne, Did know about the 10& 15 spline versions. Also know that somewhere in that timeframe Ford started producing the shermans, just was wondering if there was any changes when they went to the Thousand series

4 speed no live PTO. I had to replace the Sherman combo on my 841S years ago and if I remember right it had the 15 spline and we put in the 10 spline because it was what we could find at the time

I believe the ROPS that most folks fab
up for ford tractors bolt to the axle,
seems like it would just bust the axle.
Also with out a seat belt ain't no use
adding one. We taught our kids safety
first! You can add a Sherman to a four
speed. Or swap tranny and clutch out of
a 861 and get a live pto.......but can't
have both.

Grandpa, Agree on teaching them Safety first. But like to have something that will act as a "insurance policy" in case they do something a teen boy would do. Already giving seatbelts some thoughts- primarily with regards to mounting provisions- Hmm, wonder if the 4point set I got for a Huey would work... As far as fabricating one, probably wont be too upset if they roll it. bust up the tractor but are ok.
Beginning to think my answer to the Sherman question is going to be "Whatever you can find at a tractor junkyard"

I understand the safety thing but I was also taught safety starts in the person and nothing you can do or add will make something safer if the person using it doesn't know and understand what is and what isn't safe to do. As for Rops set up depending on things it might work or it might snap off the axle housing and then it has done nothing but maybe made it less safe

A thicker flywheel is used on the 14257 and later tractors so the Sherman transmission shaft is redesigned from earlier models. The early flywheel won't work with the later transmission shaft, neither will the later flywheel won't work with the early transmission shaft. You will need a clutch disc to match the transmission shaft

Not sure about all that I just know when the Sherman combo went bad in the 841S I have the Ford dealer installed a used Sherman in it and the one that had been in the 841S was the 15 spline but the one that was put in is the 10 spline. I didn't do the work so I just know what was done not all of how it was done

If the 10 spline input shaft was in good shape, maybe they swapped that on to the newer Sherman (Along with the nose cone from the old 10 spline unit).

mvphoto77920.png

mvphoto77921.png

> Grandpa, Agree on teaching them Safety first. But like to have something that will act as a insurance policy in case they do something a teen boy would do. Already giving seatbelts some thoughts- primarily with regards to mounting provisions- Hmm, wonder if the 4point set I got for a Huey would work.

Seat belts shouldn't be used without ROPS. And ROPS shouldn't be used without seat belts.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back