New post on tractor colors, dealers and horsepower

I know a farmer that farms over 6000 acres.
Every 2 years he flips his JD. So Half of his tractors are upgraded every year.
There is also a tax advantage flipping tractors or leasing tractors.
The tax advantage is just your tax bracket removed from the cost of the product. The purchase helps the "adjusted gross income" but you still forked out the sale price. Two year depreciation is steep, much steeper than most folks tax brackets....even if they are 7 digiit earners.

A good dealer is my top criteria; that why I stoped going to John Deere, because of the lousy local dealer.
I have been trying to learn how to farm since 1979. I have bought and sold lots of tractors and equipment upgrading. I have never had a tractor back to a dealer and when they were close I would drop by to pickup parts when needed.....when they moved away, I called and had them ship parts. As the TV series went: Different strokes for different folks.

We have a bit of a different take on it here we have 4 green dealers within an hours drive and the factory itself a couple away. We have one red dealer. I’m in buying goofy large fine thread bolts at the red one often. Parts department provides fine service. But whose going to have the part I need faster?

We have had to go to Deere’s harvester works before if we wanted something the next morning. The big 3 tractors and combine are therefore green. Nothing wrong with red certainly capable. Green ones certainly aren’t perfect. But it’s pretty green around here. It’s a simple matter of there’s more of them.

There are places around the country where that’s a different color

In my travels through the prime farm country of Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin I will see a lot of red machinery for a while and then a change over to green and then back to red. I would think that is because of dealer support in those areas, but maybe it's just something that happens. Back in the late 30s, when the Fordsons were all wearing out, we saw a lot of green tractors in our neighborhood due to the John Deere dealer's ability to finance those tractors and work out a payment schedule that fit the buyer's operation. Versus the local banks who were notoriously stingy about loaning money to farmers. We, meaning my father and grandfather, always paid cash for equipment, so the finance offer didn't mean much. We usually looked at price, and what the machine could do for us. Back then, there really wasn't a bad tractor around and some brands made a better planter or hayloader, etc., than other brands. I still do that. I pay cash for everything although once in a while it pays to sign up for financing. When I bought my new John Deere tractor the dealer told me he had given me the best possible price but if I signed up for John Deere financing I would get $4000 cash back from John Deere. I signed up and then paid the loan off as soon as the paperwork went through. When I bought a new corn planter it was based on price. John Deere vs Kinze. Same planter. Kinze pay now and get the planter 9 months later or John Deere, order now, pay for it when it comes in and $4000 cheaper to boot. A no-brainer.
Testing a theory on old threads.
Edit: I use “Threaded viewing” just seeing if I replied to a 2022 reply would slide up under the post I replied to. It didn’t.

Last edited:
Dealer/color/service is first.
All have machines over 600 hp, some on Quad tracks, some on wheels.
CaseIH is tops at 692
New Holland at 682
Fendt at 673
JD at 670
Jim
We saw a Steiger 715 at the Sauk truck stop coming out of Fargo. Won’t fit in my sandbox.
IMG_7470.png

I didn't want to take Larry's post sideways so here is my question?
Is it the color, the dealer or the horsepower that matters the most.
We have good size fields and some really good sized tractors and combines in Terre Haute.

So what's the biggest horse power available in Red, Green, orange and blue tractors.
My neighbour has Large green tractors with 8 wheels.
I bought a L3560 because I wanted to replace my Jubilee, close to same hp, and because of the dealer.

I recently saw one large red tractor with rubber tracks instead of rubber tires.

So which is the most important Color, dealer or Horsepower??
Great way to start a brand war.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back