New to me 2N

NMMark

New User
I am new to this tractor stuff so bare with me please. I am a retired disabled vet and was given a 47 2n that's been sitting for about a year. The engine does turn over, but before starting it I plan on draining, flushing and refilling all fluids. It has been converted to 12V. It also has an Everett Trencher aux tranny in it too. Is there anything else I should look at before getting it ready to start. Thanks for all you guys and gals to for us rookies.

If you like to tinker I'm sure you're going to love it. I love the simplicity of my N - if it needs anything 1. it's available and 2. it's typically easy to fix or replace. The flathead has fewer gaskets to leak than a more modern unit, the hydraulics are fairly idiot proof (I'm a testament to that), and there's nothing too big on it that you can't do with hand tools and a floor jack.

oh yeah, #3. there are tons of us out there who are happy to try and help.

NMMark,

From one vet on disability to another, THANK YOU for your service! And welcome to the best forum ever!

I have an 8N, so I can't help much. But there are a bunch of guys & gals on this forum that will steer you in the right direction. Let them help you!!

Gunny, in Iowa

To another D.A.V. I salute you. That said I would put say a 1/4 cup of ATF in each cylinder before trying to start it to free up sticking rings etc. U.S.Navy 1974-180

Let me echo the other folks' welcome and thanks for your service.
You'll find many of us here are veterans.

I would remove the plugs and add some ATF or MMO to the
cylinders to soak the rings for a few days before trying to start it.
That will help free them up and lube the cylinder walls a bit.
Roll it over with the plugs out to blow that oil out before trying
to start it. Messy, but it does help.

While it is soaking I would take the distributor off (2 bolts, 1 wire)
and clean/gap the points. 15 thousandths on the front mount.
The distributor is different from most engines, it only goes in one
way. Timing is set on the bench. An I&T FO-4 manual will show
you how to do it. Forum member TOH sells a jig to make it easier.
If it needs new points, buy quality ones, not TSC. NAPA CS35
or Standard Ignition BlueStreak FD-6769X.

Pull the drain plug out of the bottom of the carb and drain it,
then turn the gas valve on two full turns (not more) and let
fuel flow through it for a couple minutes. You should get about
a pint of clean fuel.

It should run in a steady stream, although not real fast.
Catch it in a glass/clear plastic jar so you can check for dirt or
water. You might have to let the jar set a while for water to
separate in order to see it clearly.

If you don't have good fuel flow, there are three screens to be
cleaned: one in the carb inlet elbow, one in the sediment bowl
above the glass bowl and one on top of the sediment bowl assy
inside the gas tank. i would leave that one for a last resort.

Much more to add, but check out the [b:ca694d2192]75 Tips[/b:ca694d2192] that Bruce(VA) posts.
They are great advice for new N owners.

Post back with question and let us know how it turns out!

First, thank you and all the other vets for your service. You guys and gals keep this country free and great.
If that transmission has a super slow gear, It would run a 3 pt tiller which a lot of folks seem to want but will not work on standard N's. Don't hesitate to ask any and all questions of this board. These are great folks.
These little tractors can do a lot of work and I consider them vets also. They have done their share of work for this great country.
Richard in NW SC

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back