Newbie Questions, Hydraulics Front End Loader

OK, all my hydraulics experience is with vintage Ford tractors in-built pumps for 3 pt hitch. I just bought a vintage 1960s front end loader for my Ford 850 with 4 cylinders. I am restoring it, i.e. Sandblast all, prime & paint, ALL new fittings and hoses, etc. As I am learning this new area I use the forum archives as much as possible, but I have some basic questions that I could use help with. Here they are. 1) there is no filter anywhere on the loader, am I better off putting an in-line filter on the return line or the suction line??? 2) the loader has the original Vickers Vane Pump model "V250 8 6D 12 949" "LH". I don't know the capacity of this pump. The oil resevouir is entirely within the frame of the loader I estimate only about 10 gallons, so I presume the pump is in the 5 to 8 gpm range. I want to buy a replacement pump. Should I look for a Vickers 20V Vane pump, or should I switch to a gear pump??? 3) Is a no load starting vane pump worth the great extra expense? 4) I have a Gresen 2 spool valve. I will give this to a professional to rebuild. But can someone tell me what is "Power Beyond" vs. "Closed Center". and what is "Load Check". and finally 5) My existing pump is stamped "LH". I presume this means left hand rotation. But in catalogues they only describe pumps now as CW clockwise or CCW counter clockwise rotation. Would my LH pump be equivalent to a CW or CCW pump??? Thanks all, I really do appreciate your time and effort in helping out a beginner like me. Larry

You sure there are no filters in the reservoir,most hydraulic systems has a strainer on the reservoir feed to the pump to catch any debris before it can get to the pump and a filter on the return line,this too can be in the reservoir,there would be a plate to remove to access each.
AJ

Looking at the shaft of a pump:

Clockwise: RH - rotates to the right from the top like a clock s hands.

Counterclockwise: LH - Rotates to the left from the top opposite the way a clock s hands travel.

As for your other questions; It would be a lot to type into answers here for info that is readily available, and one answer will likely lead to other questions.

There are some articles about Hydraulics in the Research & Info, Maintenance, Mechanical and "How-To" Information section of this site, that will answer some of your questions.
https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/articles.htm

After that I suggest you search on line for Hydraulic system definitions, Open vs. Closed hydraulic systems, etc.. You will find there is a lot of detailed written info and diagrams to help explain Open and Closed hydraulic systems (power beyond is a feature not a vs. to a closed system) on line. Then it will be easier to help you with a specific detail question.

JMHO of getting you the best results (with the fewest typo and mix up errors), just like school, study the books to begin with.

No, did not receive your email. Try and resend or post on this site. Other questions, No, there absolutely is no strainer of filter anywhere in the system. I drained it this week and one of the resevoir towers (part of the frame) had about 8 inches of dirt, sludge, and gunk that I had to wash out. And I did go thru the archives and articles as suggested and there was no information that answered any of my questions, i.e. better to have filter on suction or return lines, etc etc.

(quoted from post at 20:32:22 09/17/19) No, did not receive your email. Try and resend or post on this site. Other questions, No, there absolutely is no strainer of filter anywhere in the system. I drained it this week and one of the resevoir towers (part of the frame) had about 8 inches of dirt, sludge, and gunk that I had to wash out. And I did go thru the archives and articles as suggested and there was no information that answered any of my questions, i.e. better to have filter on suction or return lines, etc etc.

I would go with a filter on the return line to the reservoir. If you can find a screen/strainer for the inlet it would be good to have both. Make sure whatever you use meets or exceeds the GPM of your pump.

From a quick web search it appears V250 is the model and the 8 is likely gallons per minute, the other numbers and letters likely have to do with mounting, porting, etc. and LH would be left hand - counterclockwise. You said you plan to send your valve to a professional to rebuild. You should consider the same for your pump. If they can't rebuild it they should be able to give you options for a replacement. Vickers vane pumps were used on some loaders and gear pumps were used on others, so either will work. Matching your pump's mounting and shaft will be key factors. What general area are you in? There are an number of hydraulic shops around in Maine.

#4) As for the hydraulic terms (Closed center, open center, power beyond, port relief, etc.), I still think it is easier, and better, if you search the terms you are interested in on the web, if the articles here on this site didn't help, than for myself or someone to re-type all of it here.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back