Newbie with Oliver 88 puller

jngreen

New User
Just wanted to say hi, I just registered. I realized I might get more attention here so here goes.

I am looking for some good resources for my 88 Oliver as I play with it at many local tractor pulls. Most of which are 1st gear only percentage pulls. My 88 seems to be a light weight with a pulling weight of 4100 lbs (w/ 180lb driver). Now I weigh 4360 lbs with a set of wheel weights being the only change. It has pressed steel wheels with 14.9x 38's on the rear. Cast hubs and wheels on front. Hydraulics and PTO still in place, only thing missing is the belt pulley housing. It seems to be an early model fleetline (I believe a 48 or 49 year) I can't remember what the serial number put it at. Only reason I can figure why my tractor is so light is the casting in the frame may be lighter than the later 88's because its not a stripped out puller.

Only changes I've made to this gem of a tractor is putting the pressed steel on the rear and fabbing up a nice little adjustable pulling hitch. This thing seems to be a pretty serious competitor for such a stock tractor. Almost took home 1st place with it last year (first year out) in our pulling club, only got beat because I missed too many pulls and a sweet little Cockshutt 550 took the title away from me. This year the Cockshutt is going down. :twisted: So help me build this thing up a little.

First, I know I'm gonna need a clutch. I pulled in a Division 2 class just for giggles and probably would have placed against some higher caliber tractors had my clutch had not slipped at the end of the pull in 2nd gear. I'm guessing its a 10 inch clutch instead of the standard 11in.

Next on the list would be to convert it to 12 volt. Its hard to start sometimes on the 6volt battery.

Then this winter, I'm probably gonna pull it into the garage and pull the motor apart and check everything out real well. Put a non-cracked exhaust manifold on it and maybe make some changes to boost the power a little bit while keeping everything "stock appearing". (I have to keep the stock oil bath air cleaner if that tells you anything) I'm thinking head work, cam, bumping up the compression a little if everythings tight, you know stuff like that. I wouldn't mind being able to play at some more competitive pulls in a higher gear or two.

Sorry for the novel, any tips or hints you have will be appreciated.

Thanks.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back