16tracker

New User
Hello all, as per the title, my tractor has ceased to charge my battery.

My tractor is an '52 8N sidemount dist. ser. 8N513747. 6v, pos ground.

My dad went through this tractor probably about 25 years ago. It has been pretty flawless until now.

I have found a test online for the generator that consists of grounding the field and putting the neg side of the battery to the armature. this test does make the genny spin. so far so good i suspect? i also believe that it is a 2 brush vs. a 3

i looked at the VR (i think? is it located behind the dash on the right side under the oil pressure guage behind the oil bath filter??) if this is correct, this VR does not look like the ones that i see in numerous pics. My VR has 2 terminals on top and 1 on the side closest to the steering column vs. all 3 terminals on the top.

As of now, i keep the battery on low charge for a day so i can mow the grass or a while. it hasn't quit on me yet but don't want to get stuck in the field either.

what other tests can i perform to narrow down where the issue is? as always, i bow to the folks who have forgotten more than i will ever learn.

thanks for any tips

Your observations point to the VR and it sounds like the terminal arrangement is for the factory original VR and not an aftermarket unit. Disconnect battery, remove VR cover and very carefully run coarse paper thru/between the contacts several passes, holding them together lightly. This may clean up enough to function. If so you will be better off than with a new replacement, as quality of such in today's world is not great.

Excellent!! Thank you so much JMOR. You are one many that I respect greatly.

I will try and do this today or tomorrow and report back with the results.

thanks again!

I&T FO-4 Manual has a motoring test for GEN and a VR test as well. If you need a copy email me and I'll send you one. Side Mount Distributor on the 8N used the 20 AMP, 3-
Wire/2-Brush, unit with the saddle mount belt tensioner so be sure you have that tensioner correct. Also best to get battery tested under load at a shop on their machine.
A basic trickle charger won't be effective and can boil battery electrolyte out when left unattended. The best solution is to get a float charger like the DELTRAN BATTERY
TENDER JR and keep connected all times tractor is in barn at idle. Battery is kept at a full charge under load so it's ready to go when you are.

Does your handle '16 tracker' have anything to do with sound mixing/recording/PA equipment?

Tim Daley(MI)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back