No heated seats for you!

MarkB_MI

Due to the chip shortage, GM is eliminating heated seats from several models.

<a href=https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2021/11/15/detroit-dealers-chip-shortage-heated-seats/8626153002/>https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2021/11/15/detroit-dealers-chip-shortage-heated-seats/8626153002/</a>

This is not going to go over well for those of us who live in cold climates. Or, more specifically, our wives.

Yes, even something as simple as a heated seat requires a computer these days. Engineers have come to rely on micro-controllers to do just about everything. When we talk about the computers in our cars, we're usually thinking of the relatively powerful processors in the engine and transmission control modules. But modern vehicles are stuffed full of micro-controllers, low-powered processors that do all sorts of mundane tasks such as operate HVAC systems, wireless charging and, yes, heated seats. These cheap and versatile devices are microprocessors with very limited memory and simple CPUs coupled with various devices that allow them to interact with the analog real world. Most have analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog conversion capability, along with various other input and output ports. A typical microcontroller is the ubiquitous 68HC11, based on the 1970s-vintage Motorola 6800 8-bit microprocessor.

Microcontrollers are cheap. A 68HC11 retails for about ten bucks; automotive suppliers probably pay less than a buck apiece. When automakers canceled parts orders last year, the resulting component cancellations by Tier 1 and 2 automotive suppliers prompted chipmakers to retool their plants to make more profitable devices. Naturally those same chipmakers are reluctant to switch back from high-end devices to cheap microcontrollers.

Heated seats!!!!!! Oh NO
A few days ago I get in car, it was in the 30s, noticed my heated seat and steering wheel heat was on.
I concluded, I would NEVER buy a car or truck without Heated seats, heated steering wheel and dual temp controls. Just simple things I'll never be without.
Heated seats on my old back feels soooooooo gooooood.
When are they going to have a back message built in the seats??

If they did, I may become homeless and live in a car.

Maybe I need different chip for the seat of my snowmobile. It has three settings: off; low; and high. Low is too hot to leave it on for more than ten minutes even when the temperature is down in the teens.

Took my car in to the Dealership yesterday for an oil change and tire rotation. The ride there felt so good in a heated leather seat on a cold, rainy day here in Michigan.

Never have had a vehicle with heated anything except the mirrors on the truck along with a motorized mirror for the right side sure is nice for blindsiding.

First time I rode in anything with heated seats was last winter, the boss's new F250.

He turned it on, I had to do a double take, thought I had peed myself! LOL

I used to have a car with a back massager in the seat but lost it after I had the driveshaft balanced. My wife's new car has a heated steering wheel that comes on automatically when the temperature is low enough. Never thought about it before but now I miss it on her other car.

That's good with me I don't care for them. My Honda has heated seats I never use that function. Power seats WHY Its the same with auto HVAC I like twisting the dials/buttons : ) All I need is wide open and a off switch.

Power windows, locks, trunk and a key fob are a must...

Why they would cut a hole in a roof for a sliding window is beyond me. I refuse to work on them you break it its your problem.

(quoted from post at 07:15:20 11/18/21) First time I rode in anything with heated seats was last winter, the boss's new F250.

He turned it on, I had to do a double take, thought I had peed myself! LOL

I can relate to that, back when heated seats were first coming out a customer dropped off a high end car (with heated leather seats) that had a vibration he wanted fixed.

First job on the list after lunch.

I started it up to go for a test drive and just as I was turning onto the road I passed well a significant amount of gas, not 2 seconds later I could feel warmth on my bottom and the feeling was crawling up my back.

I was momentarily mortified thinking I got more than I bargained for with that fart, a quick assessment revealed that all was well.

Laugh if you want but a heated toilet seat is one of man's greatest inventions since sliced bread. OK, the odd short circuit gives a little bit of a zap but overall it's well worth the risk. Let the chips fall where they may .....

My brother has a 2004 Ford V10 F250 with 150K trouble-free miles. A few months ago, I took that trouble-free truck 600 miles away to pick up a tractor and it rode pretty good. Well, trouble-free, except he had the front end rebuilt and the shop used really cheap replacement parts. A year later, he needed the front end replaced again and he was really miffed at Ford because he didn't think their front ends held together too well. So, he bought a GMC Sierra diesel with the heavily-advertised tailgate and all the bells and whistles you could put on the option list. I rode it it last night for the first time and, while the heated seats were okay, I wanted to fall asleep riding in it and I just felt sorry for the poor schmuck of a mechanic who has to fix all that junk 5 years from now.
I'll take mine without, thank you.

Buy you a King Ranch Ford 3 modes of massage to the seat. On long trips it is certainly a nice option.

Jerry,
I didn't know that, will check into a ford next time I buy a truck.
Thanks. Happy Trucking.

Gloom despair and agony on me! Deep dark depression, excessive misery! If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all! Gloom despair and agony on me!

Now that that's out of the way, the solution is simple, and consists of two possible choices:

1. If you can't live without heated seats, wait for the chip manufacturing to catch up. It won't last forever. Your two year old car will certainly hold you over for another few months, maybe a year.

2. If you just have to have a brand new car NOW, learn to live without heated seats. Oh the hardship! Oh the sacrifice! Trade the car in next year when they get the chip production and shipping back on track.

People, all this is TEMPORARY. Time and the allure of money fixes all.

BTW my funny heated seat story, I was riding to a sales meeting with a coworker in his VW, and my butt started to sting. I said nothing because I wasn't sure what was going on. We got to the sales meeting and he looks down and says, "Oh! My wife left the heated seat on high! You must have grill marks on your a** by now!" I did.

Wow, sounds rough for most folks. *haha*

Am pretty sure our newest truck has heated driver mirror (maybe both sides?) but we never use it. I do turn on the defrost strips for the back glass though.

No heated seats, although the wife would like to try one some day. ...Heated steering wheels? REALLY?!?!? Wow, we just put on a pair of gloves -- and our truck has to sit outside even. -40F? No problem here! :lol:

> Am pretty sure our newest truck has heated driver mirror (maybe both sides?) but we never use it. I do turn on the defrost strips for the back glass though.

Um... if you turn on the rear defog, you're also turning on the heated mirrors. At least on GM vehicles that's the case.

I, too, thought heating steering wheels were frivolous...until I drove a car that had one.

I'll have to look later, but I [i:9771b47392]think[/i:9771b47392] our truck has separate heat switches for rear glass and side mirrors. It's a 2004 Chevy Z71.

(quoted from post at 04:17:25 11/18/21) Due to the chip shortage, GM is eliminating heated seats from several models.

&lt;a href=https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2021/11/15/detroit-dealers-chip-shortage-heated-seats/8626153002/&gt;https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2021/11/15/detroit-dealers-chip-shortage-heated-seats/8626153002/&lt;/a&gt;

This is not going to go over well for those of us who live in cold climates. Or, more specifically, our wives.

Yes, even something as simple as a heated seat requires a computer these days. Engineers have come to rely on micro-controllers to do just about everything. When we talk about the computers in our cars, we're usually thinking of the relatively powerful processors in the engine and transmission control modules. But modern vehicles are stuffed full of micro-controllers, low-powered processors that do all sorts of mundane tasks such as operate HVAC systems, wireless charging and, yes, heated seats. These cheap and versatile devices are microprocessors with very limited memory and simple CPUs coupled with various devices that allow them to interact with the analog real world. Most have analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog conversion capability, along with various other input and output ports. A typical microcontroller is the ubiquitous 68HC11, based on the 1970s-vintage Motorola 6800 8-bit microprocessor.

Microcontrollers are cheap. A 68HC11 retails for about ten bucks; automotive suppliers probably pay less than a buck apiece. When automakers canceled parts orders last year, the resulting component cancellations by Tier 1 and 2 automotive suppliers prompted chipmakers to retool their plants to make more profitable devices. Naturally those same chipmakers are reluctant to switch back from high-end devices to cheap microcontrollers.

I've owned only one vehicle with heated seats. Never could see the point in having them. YES, leather seats do get cold in the winter, but if you don't have leather seats, you don't need heated seats. Just a waste of money.

As someone who lives in the north and has back problems I would miss heated seats. Not saying I could not live without them. Our Ford Escape has them and they get used often. Tom

(quoted from post at 07:09:49 11/18/21) As someone who lives in the north and has back problems I would miss heated seats. Not saying I could not live without them. Our Ford Escape has them and they get used often. Tom

Is there any compelling reason for you to trade your car in NOW? If not, then no problem. Keep it.

I think I got them in my new
Buick I brought last January but haven't figured out how to turn them on yet. I do have them on my motorcycle got to kind of like it when its cold out.

In the late 70s/early 80s I was a Motorola 6800 and later 6809 expert, doing things that had never been done before.

The register oriented 6800 was state of the art when it was introduced in 75 or so and a much better processor than contemporary Intel devices.

Dean

Vehicles are sometimes destroyed in collisions.

I certainly would not want such to happen these days.

Dean

Seems to me that we got by just fine without heated seats and steering wheels for nearly 100 years. Now they are a necessity? How very spoiled we have become.

Personally, I would not even own a car with leather seats or the majority of the toys they put in them now. Too much to fail and for how long will repair parts be available?

What I find funny is that so many respondents to this thread have so many conveniences at arms length.
On a vehicle that they chose to buy.
And then claim to never use all the bells and whistles.

All this alien digital technology may be fine for interstellar space travel, but its not very dependable here on Earth.&#128125;

About 25 years ago I drove a cabover truck with a power right mirror,and an air powered right window.The drivers side window was a regular crank,and the mirror had to be twisted by hand.That's the best I ever backed up.Many years before that I put heated mirrors on a couple of B model Macks.We used them for plowing,it really helped.For plowing in a pickup I need an automatic,power windows,and power heated mirrors.

(quoted from post at 11:58:12 11/18/21) Doc ..... in Florida I think that 'cooled' seats would be preferable to heated seats.

If you have 'heated seats' , you probably have 'cooled seats' also.

All this alien digital technology may be fine for interstellar space travel, but its not very dependable here on Earth.&#128125;

> In the late 70s/early 80s I was a Motorola 6800 and later 6809 expert, doing things that had never been done before.
> The register oriented 6800 was state of the art when it was introduced in 75 or so and a much better processor than contemporary Intel devices.

I worked with the 6800 in college during the late seventies. It was a fun and easy processor to work with. Of course, it was quickly supplanted by the 32-bit 68000, since the 6800's 64K address space was too small for many applications. The 6800 probably would have become just a footnote in microprocessor history if it hadn't become the basis of the very successful 68HC11.

> If you have 'heated seats' , you probably have 'cooled seats' also.

In the US, cooled seats are pretty much found only on luxury cars. But heated seats are almost standard equipment these days.

> I do have them on my motorcycle got to kind of like it when its cold out.

Heated seats or heated grips? Adding heated grips to my Triumph was one of the best things I ever did. Riding in the rain was miserable before, now it's no big deal down to 40 degrees.

I have the heated grips too which I like along with the heated vest and gloves. I've come in and out of Mi. to Fl. more than once in the cold as long as it didn't come with snow.

(quoted from post at 07:51:11 11/18/21) Seems to me that we got by just fine without heated seats and steering wheels for nearly 100 years. Now they are a necessity? How very spoiled we have become.

Personally, I would not even own a car with leather seats or the majority of the toys they put in them now. Too much to fail and for how long will repair parts be available?

Why even own a car? Seems to me that we got by just fine without them for 100s years. Now they are a necessity? How very spoiled we have become.

Only one problem. I refuse to buy anything that can't be serviced locally.
No Mercedes dealerships in Terre Haute

That was my thought too reading some of these comments! Where different people draw the line between enough and too much when it comes to modern conveniences and comforts will of
course differ but in the big picture the line for all of us would be a very, very long way from none.

Wife's Expedition has heated and cooled seats, along with dual zone climate control. Really didn't need all the stuff on there, but try to find an Expedition without it...and it was one of the cheaper ones.

Anyway, she's always cold, I'm always hot...not uncommon for her to have her seat on heat, while I have mine on cool.

My F150 has heated seats, but currently driving an 07 Focus or 98 Ranger on my 135 mile round trip commute, neither has any of that stuff, and I do fine.

Will admit I like the backup cameras on the newer vehicles though

Fred

10 years ago I thought heated seats were just junk to break, who would want that blah blah, before that it was power windows, locks, mirrors etc etc.

I have a car with heated seats....and they are nice. My truck doesn't have them and I miss them in the cold.

I drove a car with a heated steering wheel....very nice in the cold and not something I would have even thought to look for as an option.

I can easily see some people NOT buying a vehicle that doesn't have heated seats.

Some don't like modern bells and whistles.

I won't buy another vehicle without heated seats. steering wheel and dual temperature controls. I'm with you, My old back
loves a warm comfortable ride in the winter.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back