NOS (nitrous oxide) in a tractor?

BradCNY

I know tractors are turbocharged, some have put blowers on them but has any company put a NOS system on a tractor?
Extra power to get through a hard pan or transporting up a big hill. Might be a cheaper way to get a boost of power.
Or are the lower compression engines on older gas tractors not suitable?
Just thinking today.

I know tractors are turbocharged, some have put blowers on them but has any company put a NOS system on a tractor?
Extra power to get through a hard pan or transporting up a big hill. Might be a cheaper way to get a boost of power.
Just thinking today.
I can only imagine how many engines would get blown up by hitting the button one more time to get through that tough spot.😬

A little off to the side, but is propane still used on diesel pulling tractors? I was at a tractor pull at the North Dakota state fair about 40 or 45 years ago and I remember a Case 4X4 pulling the sled and he had a 20 pound propane bottle in the cab. You could see him opening the valve as he was pulling. The announcer made mention of the propane being like nitrous to a diesel.

Just thinking today.
Isn't it necessary to have an extra flow of fuel to go with the nitrous?

A little off to the side, but is propane still used on diesel pulling tractors? I was at a tractor pull at the North Dakota state fair about 40 or 45 years ago and I remember a Case 4X4 pulling the sled and he had a 20 pound propane bottle in the cab. You could see him opening the valve as he was pulling. The announcer made mention of the propane being like nitrous to a diesel.
Adding LP might help a bit, but not at all like Nitrous does. Extra fuel MUST be added though or the Nitrous does no good. On gas engines if no extra fuel is added with the Nitrous engine USUALLY ends up with holes in the pistons when chamber goes extremely lean. Too much Nitrous on a diesel just puts the fire out usually. A few years ago I played with Nitrous on a 70 HP diesel, it burned clean at that power setting. Fuel was cranked all the way up and the four cylinder diesel got to 100 HP on the PTO dyno with VERY heavy smoke. Played with some Nitrous jets and using a battery charger setting on the dyno to turn on/off the Nitrous solenoid I got it to 170 HP before the PTO clutch slipped with the smoke almost GONE. Watch Gale Banks twin turbo Duramax diesel dragster with Nitrous sometime, What really impresses me is that engine NEVER smokes.

My limited experience is I run out of traction before I run out of HP. I'm sure there are corner cases where more HP would get through a section, but the designers of the tractor matched the tires to the HP so that in its pulling gear(2nd or 3rd?), the tires would spin before the engine would die. If one adds NOS to a tractor engine, one should maybe consider adding a much bigger tire. This postulate is borne out by what I see at tractor pulls. The huge HP rigs also have way, way oversized tires.

After adding NOS and increasing tire size, might as well get a bigger clutch, PP too. Oh and a heavier gears. And a bigger crankshaft. Hypereutectic pistons, forged rods, Well - you get the idea.

YMMV

Get with Jegs or Summit racing , they will help with set up . I’m thinking motorcycle 35 smallest bottle fit in stock air cleaner.
here’s the link to jegs.
Tip ,Look for the guys running mufflers at next pull ,not all but some

50 some years ago there were "Red Rooster" kits which feed propane into diesel tractors to increase the power. I was involved in dyno testing a tractor that had a Red Rooster kit installed. The tractor smoked on diesel only and smoked much worse when propane was added. The power increase was only a couple percent and just simply adding more diesel fuel to the engine would have acomplished the same results, more smoke and a minimal power gain. Naturally aspirated engines only have enough oxygen to make rated power and propane is not an oxygenator only a fuel source. More power requires more air.

50 some years ago there were "Red Rooster" kits which feed propane into diesel tractors to increase the power. I was involved in dyno testing a tractor that had a Red Rooster kit installed. The tractor smoked on diesel only and smoked much worse when propane was added. The power increase was only a couple percent and just simply adding more diesel fuel to the engine would have acomplished the same results, more smoke and a minimal power gain. Naturally aspirated engines only have enough oxygen to make rated power and propane is not an oxygenator only a fuel source. More power requires more air.
I read an article about propane fumigation (their term) that said it is quite common especially in europe. The article stated that power increase using propane on naturally aspirated diesels was minimal, around 5 to 8% increase. On turbo diesels, the power gains were said to be substantial at up to 40% increase. The article was pretty old, from 2009 and I saw it in a boat forum. Doing a web search on propane injection for diesels brings up a lot of articles and opinions.

Last edited:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back