Nose Cone Fit

HS2

New User
I have a JD 2640 tractor. I bought a new nose cone from Yesterday's Tractor. I checked the part numbers and they sent me the right part number according to my early serial number. The old cone was broken so bad that it's hard to tell if the new one is the same size. But when I place it next to the sheet metal hood, the new plastic nose cone is a good inch smaller in diameter on the bottom, compared to the hood. I can try to get it to fit, but it would require me to squeeze the hood in a good bit while I'm bolting it together. I'm afraid the sheet metal hood will break the fiberglass nose cone.

Have any of you replaced these nose cones before? Do they usually fit perfectly or does it take some bending and squeezing? What is the chance I got a good part number but just a poorly made part?

Measure the distance across the tractor where the hood sets on the fuel tank. That will tell you the correct dimension the front of the hood should be. IF the hood is spread out too wide then straighten the hood BEFORE attaching the nose cone. IF you do not you will break the nose cone. IF your hood has been smacked in the front ahrd enough to break the nose cone then it more than likely is bent out wider than it should be.

I have used several aftermarket nose cones and have never had one that fit as good as the original Deere. I will agree with JD that what busts the original often takes the hood out of shape. I have two hear now that need done both an early and a late 2440. Tom

We have a 2440 that I bought one from A&I years
ago. It was no where near close to fitting correctly. I
returned it and repaired the original.

Yes! I too have a 2640 nose cone that I purchased a while back from Northern States Ag Parts that fit exactly like yours. (It
didn't!) I ordered it with the serial number according to the tractor and it looked like it should fit but it was about three
forth inches off over the fuel tank. I contacted them complaining about it but they refused to refund it saying it was my
mistake in getting the incorrect one. I had ordered the earlier version, the one I needed. The later ones weren't even close.
Needless to say, with a little fiberglass and ingenuity, I got it to where I can use it. But its far from perfect. I thought I
was the only one! Poor quality at its best.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back