Not OT: Cassettes to hard drive on PC

I bought a rather inexpensive AM/FM radio for my tractor that will also read music from a flash drive! I have yet to install it but have a question for the music experts on here. I can do this job easily with my CD collection, but I have a stack of music that is not the same, on cassettes. Thanks for any advice.

1. Have any of you moved music from your cassette collection to a hard drive on your PC so you can load it onto another device?

2. How well did it work?

3. Does the PC automatically link up to the 'net to get the title and artist's information and the song list or do you need to type it all in?

4. What system did you use?

If you have a traditional desktop computer, the sound card where you plug in your speakers will have a jack for an audio input. Get a cord to run from your cassette deck out to the audio in on the sound card, then all you will need is some recording software and you can do what you're looking to do. Make sure what your player will read, .cda files or mp3's. Some will only read .cda. I have usb/mp3 stereos in both my vehicles, and threw my cd's & cassettes in the corner. I'll never need them again. These days you can buy lots of stereos with usb/mp3 capabilities at very reasonable prices.

I do have a desktop PC. I'll have to get my flashlight and look back there....

Did your software program upload all of the album information?

I think it would read the album information from a cd but I don't believe it will from a cassette.

You need 3 things:
1. A cassette player, to play the cassettes, so you can record them at the same time.

2. The correct cable - You need a cable that connects your speaker/headphones OUTPUT on your cassette player, to the microphone INPUT on your computer
I believe these connectors/ports are NOT the same. A standard patch cable with the same on each end won’t work.
One end has to be speakers/headphones output. The other end has to plug into your MICROPHONE input on your computer. Most computers have this port/connector.

3. You need a program to RECORD audio on your computer.
This program will record the audio that you will be playing on the cassette.
If you’re on Windows, you can use the built in program:
Sound Recorder

Or you can buy a better program. I use: Audio Hijack Pro on my Mac,
Total Recorder is one for Windows

When it's all set up, you press Play on the cassette and Record on Sound Recorder (or Total Recorder)

I think you will have to identify the songs manually.

In case of problems, check the Microphone item in the Control Panel
Total Recorder

Thanks for the advice. I'm running Windows...

If you load the album info to your recording program software manually, will the Flashdrive pick it up so it will identify on the next device so you know what you are choosing to listen to?

I put a cassette deck in my PC for that purpose. (been a while)
My software does download album info if available.
What it does not do is separate the songs into individual tracks
for a CD, etc. I have to do that manually or the whole album
plays in order as one song. It does the same from my records.
Turntable also hooked to the PC.

mvphoto14334.jpg

Thanks for that idea too!

Do you know what brand that is and did the software you are using come with the cassette player?

If it is a separate software package, what are you running?

The brand is PlusDeck2. Software came with it.
It may not be available anymore looking at Amazon.
Probably have to find one on eBay or used.
Newer USB versions are available though.
Here's a link to an ad for one like mine.
PlusDeck2

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back