Noticed this

John M

Someone else may have mentioned it, but I see 2 threads on Talk with more than one page, but no matter which you open from, the original post, page 2 or 3, it goes to the first page and shows all the posts.

I'll need to look at one. The threaded view is not supposed to fold over to additional pages like the chronological view. I will have to make a change that fixes that when I know what limit the thread is hitting. It must be a really large thread. My recollection is that I took the number of posts to fold to the next page based on studying the largest threads ever posted on YT. I had to pick a slightly lower limit because the outliers were way out there and there were very few of them. What thread?

I'll need to look at one. The threaded view is not supposed to fold over to additional pages like the chronological view. I will have to make a change that fixes that when I know what limit the thread is hitting. It must be a really large thread. My recollection is that I took the number of posts to fold to the next page based on studying the largest threads ever posted on YT. I had to pick a slightly lower limit because the outliers were way out there and there were very few of them. What thread?
Its on TTalk, the 2 threads about the new forum.

Its on TTalk, the 2 threads about the new forum.
Now I got what you mean. Yes, it's a multiple page post because a "page" is defined as 20 posts. The threaded view ignores that because you can't page the posts and have them make any sense, so unless you turn off threaded view, it's all just one page.

The background of this decision, was that with a chronological view (non-threaded), there is no concept of "who is replying to who". It's all "last post goes at the bottom regardless". This is what classic view users detested about modern view in the old system. They wanted to see the reply to a specific person thread under that persons post. If you break up threads into page chunks (a concept classic never had) you can't tell what the posts on subsequent pages are replying to.

I think I have it set at about 100 posts that makes up a page, to get around that problem. In all the millions of posts on YT, there were only about 20 that exceed that number with the most posts ever in a thread at 150. Interestingly, the talk about the new forums, may end up bumping us past 100 posts, like that thread may do today. If so, you'll see paging occur and it probably will make it hard to follow. Though the pages will contain 100 posts. If I see it growing larger than that, I may bump that total up higher to avoid it.

The forum list is unmodified so those page numbers it shows, are a presumption that you are viewing in the normal default of chronological view. To be flat honest, I didn't even think about that when I was developing this. I can possibly fix that, but it will take some changes. Nothing comes easy in this modern software. Probably take me at least a day after the fires are put out (most of which you can see in those threads, just the need to accommodate folks who are unable to see YT from a modern software perspective), that's what we have to work now and fast. But I can fix it so if the person has Threaded View selected as their preference, those page numbers disappear since they are logically meaningless. I'll get it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back