Thread sequence

Rich'sToys

I've only noticed it on this "Site Comments" forum, but all the new threads are not at the top. There are 1 or 2 new ones, then several where the last response is Sunday or Monday, then several more new ones.
Mot a big deal, but I just noticed it and was curious about it. Seems to only be on this forum.

Edit: Even when I posted this thread it did not come in at the top of the page.

I've only noticed it on this "Site Comments" forum, but all the new threads are not at the top. There are 1 or 2 new ones, then several where the last response is Sunday or Monday, then several more new ones.
Mot a big deal, but I just noticed it and was curious about it. Seems to only be on this forum.

Yeah, that's weird. All threads below this one look to be in sequence though. Strange.

Here is what I see. The first 4 posts are stickies meaning they always stay at the top of the page and only get rearranged if a new reply has pushed one to the top above the other sticky threads. From there on, the newest post replied to is what bubbles to the top. Your post is in the fifth position because that's the newest non-sticky thread. The others should go down the list by date of reply descending.
Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 09.43.16.png

Here is what I see. The first 4 posts are stickies meaning they always stay at the top of the page and only get rearranged if a new reply has pushed one to the top above the other sticky threads. From there on, the newest post replied to is what bubbles to the top. Your post is in the fifth position because that's the newest non-sticky thread. The others should go down the list by date of reply descending. View attachment 1166

Okay, that makes sense. On other sites stickies are indicated by a different colour background or a check mark, etc.

These have no indication that I can see.

Okay, that makes sense. On other sites stickies are indicated by a different colour background or a check mark, etc.

These have no indication that I can see.
That is something that should be changed. The indicators in some cases are too subtle in this software. Only the little stick pin icon shows up to say it's a sticky. I'd prefer they background was a different color to show they are "special" and not a normal part of the thread list.

That is something that should be changed. The indicators in some cases are too subtle in this software. Only the little stick pin icon shows up to say it's a sticky. I'd prefer they background was a different color to show they are "special" and not a normal part of the thread list.
Making the common issues threads stay at the top as a sticky is good. Will they be permanent?
Especially if the deletion of older threads in site comments will be deleted once in awhile like before.

I didn't realize those were stickies either. Makes sense now. Thanks for clearing that up.

I didn't spot those little stick pins. Could they maybe be made a different color or something so they stand out more?

I didn't realize those were stickies either. Makes sense now. Thanks for clearing that up.

I didn't spot those little stick pins. Could they maybe be made a different color or something so they stand out more?

I didn't either. They are hard to see there.

I've seen them where they were right in front of the thread title and were green or red, etc.

Making the common issues threads stay at the top as a sticky is good. Will they be permanent?
Especially if the deletion of older threads in site comments will be deleted once in awhile like before.
Probably not permanent. Only one of the stickies is relevant for permanence since the others related to help topics too. Sticky's can tie up so much of a forum that they have to be used sparingly. I've seen a few forums where the stickies fill most of the first page and of course, they usually aren't needed more than once unless they are updated.

We'll look to make them more prominent so they don't confuse people as if they were top threads.

Okay, I've changed the pin icon to be red. It's a little better but still doesn't clearly show those stickies are not part of the active thread list. Giving them a slight difference in background (off white or light gray) would be better. Will try and figure that out.

And what of readers who are color blind?

And better yet, what of readers who are blind? 😉

All joking aside, it's awesome that this new software is so versatile. I never realized how varied the needs are of the people who have been on YT sometimes for decades.

And what of readers who are color blind?

And better yet, what of readers who are blind? 😉

All joking aside, it's awesome that this new software is so versatile. I never realized how varied the needs are of the people who have been on YT sometimes for decades.
That's a good question. The way it works is that screen readers "see" different unseen information that describes content in sort of an extended language. I'll give a fictitious example but the reality is very similar. On a regular browser, you see the visual stick pin in red but on the browser designed for visually impaired, you "see" wording that describes the red stick pin. I know you were speaking lightly about it, but that is a real issue in developing web software. Every statement has to have been designed with that in mind.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back