NoTill with JD 7200

kneedeep

4R Drawn 7200 with opener coulters and drag chain setup.
This is second year to try NT, plants great in tilled ground or dead cover. My soil is Silty Clay Loam in North MS Delta.
No Till, I have discovered, is a process that requires equipment to work in different types of soil/covers and the ground to be healthy and clean of weeds.
I have beat a field of resistant pigweed using covers and herbicide, other fields are virtually weed free but grass is a issues. I have setup drops on 3pt sprayer to get under the canopy to deal with the water grabbing grasses. Last sprayed 6 days ago so I will know how well the herbicide is working as well as the application when I return early next week.

My question is;

Who is NT and how is planter setup?

What type of ground (cover crops, crop residue or both)?

Herbicide program for non organic corn/sunflower rotation?

Seeking practical solutions to common problems.

Thanks

I live in middle Tn. seems like we have been notiling here over 30 years at least.I run a bare frame 7000 with notil coulters tru v openers and a set schagel closing wheels.A set of precision corn meters and kinze bean meter and an very happy with the set up.

Not much notildone in my wet cold northern back yard. On clay soils.

My understanding is those front single Coulter?s are not helpful, and might hurt in most notill situations. Throw them away.

You want a set of Row cleaners. Lots of fiddling to start out to clear the trash but don?t be plowing a trench with them.

Match up to your soil and moisture levels with the right set of closing wheels. Notched, one metal and one rubber, a pair of claw like wheels.... lots of options, match
your soil.

Paul

I have a spiked closing wheel opposite original JD wheel, seemed to help getting seed trench closed.

The row cleaners may be what I need to plant in cover.

I no till soys into standing corn stalks with a 7200 twelve row. The planter has shark tooth row cleaners in front. I set the row cleaners to clean almost all of the trash out of the way. If the row isnt clean the gauge wheels can ride up on top of the trash and make the seed depth too shallow. Here in corn-bean country most no-tillers have thrown away the coulters. Coulters help make a seed slot but they do not clean a path in front of the row unit. Here in Iowa we need that bare strip of ground to soak up the sun and warm the soil which is something the southern farmer does not need to do. I have four down pressure springs and added weight to the planter frame. This spring I did not need all of that down pressure because the soil was looser from our hard cold winter. No tilling requires more attention to detail and finer tuning. One setting does not fill all conditions. I carry a narrow garden hoe so i can check seed depth every hour or two.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back