Now or next year

Fjordman

My neighbor has said he would appreciate it if I would use about 1.7 acres of land adjacent to ours to make hay because his equipment has gotten big enough that it is a pain to get back there.

So rather than add to the weed population, our cutting it for hay would benefit us both. My question is, as it wasn't cut this year what is the best thing to do to clean up what's there.

A good amount of grass, some Alfalfa and weeds about 2-3 feet tall. Can't burn it cause of what is around it, I can use the brush hog (mow) on it or try to use the haybine and bale it next spring. If I mow it do i do it yet this fall? Or is there a better method that I don't know about.

It is mostly on a small hill/rise bounded by wetland and our hayfields.

Thanks for any input,
Warren

I would bush hog it now to get it ground up and decomposing as soon as possible. If not, those weeds will probably still be
standing next year, and end up in your bales.

I would cut it and bale it off.Hard to get rid of that much stuff by just brush hogging. And a lot of that crap will get into next years first cut. May also cause cutting issues,especially if useing a sickle bar mower. Get rid of the crap,start clean for next year.Use for mulch,Sell it cheap,or give it away. Feed it to some old cows,they would be all over it.

Location, location, location. Interesting reading your advice. I would say it reflects your dry climate. My advice reflects my wet climate. The only possibility of getting anything into a bale here, now, would be a round bale. And then I don't know if you could get it dry enough even wrapped to save as baleage. Might have to just haul it off and dump it. Certainly some bush hogged residue might get into a bale next year, but that would still be better than leaving it stand. There's usually enough moisture here to flatten and rot debris that's laying on the ground pretty quickly.
My location used to be next to my name in modern view, but I see it's gone. That was the only reason I used modern view was to see where someone might be located. And most people don't register their location anyhow. Now I guess I'm one of them!

I would bale it off and then have a grinder come in and grind the bales. Add some molasses to the grindings and the cattle will eat it like crazy. A friend of mine had a neighbor's fire get away from him and burned a bunch of his hay meadow. A lot of Russian thistle came up and he baled it all and ground it adding molasses. He couldn't find anything left over from the what he fed. They ate it all.

Im in Minnesota, just south of minneapolis. Had about 3-4 tablespoons of rain this summer. So the hay hasn't grown much. Most folks got one and a half cuts some less. We got 1/2 of normal, hope the drought is over.

I would brush hog it now. Get an even start for it next year.

Dont think you could bale it this year any more. Tho it is supposed to be a nicer than normal November week. :)

Im just a little south of you. Trying to get harvest done.

We used an old JD 16a flail chopper behind a JD 2520 in the fall to direct chop onto flat wagons. Pulled the wagons out into pasture and
let the cows eat it. When cleaned off do it again until you're finished. 1.7 acres won't take long to feed out, did the same thing with
corn fodder.

I agree with bob and paul. Brush hog it now.. go slow and try to fine chop it and get it on the ground it will work as mulch and help with the weeds.. that will give you a good clean start come spring.. Ive got a pasture that I need to do the same and get rid of some brush..

I would cut and bale it and take it to the
hay auction in Belle Plaine. Always
someone there that will buy it. Not worth
much but you will get your money back on
fuel.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back