O/T: Computer question

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
I have a small home network with 2 Windows XP computers. I just added a 98SE machine. On the XP box(the one that dials up and shares it's connection) I can see the 98SE pc in Network Places. I can ping the 98SE pc from the XP pc. I can also ping the XP pc from the 98SE pc. I can also get online with IE on the 98SE pc. However, when I click Network Neighborhood > Entire Network on the 98SE pc, I get an error that the network is not available.

What am I missing?

Your responses are appreciated.

Thank you,
Anthony
 

It's been a while since I worked on a 98SE PC, but what do you have installed in the network connection??

Besides TCP/IP, I mean?

Do you have the Microsoft networking client?

What are you trying to do, anyway, that you want the 98 PC to see the XP PC's??

The error you gave implies the first problem is at the 98 PC.

But you also have to enable file sharing on the XP PC's, and there are different approaches depending on if you have XP Home or XP Pro.

Also, be sure to drop the firewalls or enable the exception in the XP firewall to allow file sharing....

Howard
 
XP and Vista do not like to network with other operating systems. Though you may not get it to work at all, try to take down the winders firewall on the XP boxes. Also install the IPX protocol on the 98 machine. XP uses TCP/IP version 6, 98 doesn't.
 
Revisit the Network setup wizard again and check if you set it up correctly,If you have firewall that may be blocking.. see File and computer sharing therin. Examples.
 
I have Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer sharing installed. The File Sharing exception is enabled in Windows Firewall on the XP box.

As far as what I'm trying to accomplish: just a simple home network. I enjoy working the bugs out of a system/network, but sometimes hit snags as I'm only a beginner IT guy(got my Associates degree, but haven't taken certification tests yet). Not being able to solve a problem can be frustrating, but there's got to be a way to do it.

Everything else works, as far as being able to share files and get online. If I could just get Network Neighborhood to work...

Thanks for the reply!

Anthony
 
See if you can ping the computers form each other. If that works then make sure all are using the same Windows Workgroup name, also check the IP address and subnet are in the same ranges and using DHCP to get the address.

If all else fails try uninstalling the network device, shut the computer off, then let Plug & Play find it and reinstall with the computer connected to the network.
 

No, 98 and XP will definitely talk to each other. IPX is only needed for old Novell networks...

Do you have "MS file and print sharing" installed in the network connection on the 98 PC??

You don't by chance have the 98 PC and one of the XP PC's named the same NETBIOS network name, do you??

Can you browse to the XP PC by using "start", "run", and the typing in "192.168.1.4" (or whatever the IP address is of the XP PC)??? If that works, try the same thing with "XPpcname".

Also, does it behave differently with the XP PC dialed into the Internet versus not?? It has to set up an extra TCP/IP stack while dialed in - that is not present while just "sitting" on the network with the other PCs.

Also, try sharing a printer on one of the XP PC's first - preferably the one that ISN'T dialing the net. Get that working first, since it is not so dependent on userid/passwords like file sharing is.


Howard
 
Yes, I have file and print sharing installed on the 98 pc.

The computer names are all different.

In the Run box, typing "Joe" gives me an 'invalid filename' error. Typing "Joe" gives me a 'network unavailable' error.

However, from the command line, I can successfully ping both computers, using names and IP addresses.

Also, I tried to install a shared network printer, but I get another 'network unavailable' error.

Thanks,
Anthony
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top