O/T Saskatchewan Premier

Age and politics set aside, if she's got her wits about her and Dad is in the car why not? Heck, there are a lot of 24, 34, 44 year-olds who shouldn't be behind the wheel!
 
My father taught me to drive the tractor when I was 13. I drove it working in the fields and on the roads to town. At age 15 I drove our car to town but stayed off the highway. Legally it's wrong, and shouldn't be done. Consider the problems if something went wrong.
 
You"d have to see the road and know the girl, but in AZ and NM lots and lots of kids practiced their driving on roads where you"d run for miles before seeing another car (at least in the 50"s!).BTDT.
 
That's politics for ya. If the daughter drove her dad to the hospital because he was having a heart attack, she'd be a hero. It would still be illegal. 14 used to be the age for a learners permit. Sounds like some people need to pull their head out of their butt. What about all the repeat impaired drivers who get back on the road? Dave
 
I taught my 2 girls to drive in 7th grade, wife had a fit, oh well. Good for them to know in case of an emergency. Had son on tractor before that, and he picked it up quick. Sure made drivers ed easier on them and the teacher. Chris
 
As a driving instructor, I have to say "Bad policy." If anything happens, like an accident, there'll ba a heckova mess. Law will come down on both underaged driver and one who let tham drive. Liability could be great, and driver may be prevented from getting a legal license when of age.

As a teacher, I get them of all skill levels. Most attain enough skill by the time I'm through with them to go on to learner's license. Most catch on very quickly, but it is more a case of physical/mental maturity than driving experience. I suppose it helps if student has some experience in driving, but they can get that without going on the road. Mowing the lawn, driving a 4-wheeler, farm tractor, gocart, etc. will do nicely. GOING ON THE ROAD UNLICENSED IS A BAD DEAL> Plus, what kind of a message does it send? Is it OK to flaunt the laws?
 
I remember a farm I worked at when I was 13, the farmers younger son, 11 was the only one out of us who could competently drive a stick with big loads even though he could barely reach the pedals. He'd drive the tractor, truck, etc did a lot of the baling etc. Actually could drive better than his old man.

As soon as he turned 14 he got his tractor license so he could haul loads on the hwy. They had farm plates on the truck so it was ok.

My father taught me to drive when I was 14 on back roads. If you don't own a farm there just isn't enough property to learn. I think its important to learn in a low pressure situation rather than jumping behind the wheel at 16 and pulling out into the freeway.
 
We lived in the boondocks, gravel roads probably similar to what you call "grid roads". Started driving at 13, pretty much out of necessity- I worked on a neighboring farm, several hundred acres with up to half mile distance between fields where I changed irrigation pipes- couldn't have done the job without being able to drive. Highlight was when I was 15, we were trying to beat some weather so I stayed out raking hay while the rest of the crew went in to lunch. When they came out, boss said "These honyocks ate all the lunch- why don't you take my(brand new) Chrysler and run over to the Silver Moon (Cafe) and get yourself something?" Felt like a king that day. . .
 
Here in Iowa you still get a learner's permit at 14 (must take driver's education in school first). Then you can apply for a school permit and/or work permit that are restricted to direct routes to and from home but you can drive ALONE or with siblings/parents but noone else (can't pick up friends, etc.) Then at 16 you can get a "real" license not restricted to school and/or work. I have a 15 1/2 year old now and daughter turning 14 next month. Other 2 kids are out of the house already but they went through the same driving school, started out on a tracotr about 11 or 12, then car/truck at 14, and both are real good drivers now.
 
It was a stupid comment to make for a guy in his position. Asking for trouble… should have kept his mouth shut on that one. Read a story a couple of years ago here about a guy that went out with his son, 8 years old I think, to change a wheel on an implement in a remote field. The thing slipped off the jack and pinned him. No cell phone coverage, so the son had to take the truck and drive several miles to find a farm and get help. Some areas here, remote means REMOTE, so best to teach kids how to drive competently as early as possible.
Chris
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top