off topic fuel oil tank gage

INCase

we just purchased my wife's grandparents farm (4.5 acres with the house and barns)

The house is heated with fuel oil.

Question; the tank is probably a 275gal as that is typical. It has a floating type gage in the top. Does anyone know if those gages account for the air space that the fuel oil guys are supposed to leave (6 inches??) they filled up the other day as my wife's grandmother was on an automatic plan and they put 60 gallons in so i need to call and change that over. on Sunday I checked and the tank gage showed right around 3/4. i know they aren't a precision device but probably is reasonably close. at 3/4 tank that would be 206 gallons. they put in 60 gal so 266 in the tank now. with it getting warmer and the heat being set on 50 (we don't live there at the moment) I figured they would not need to come out for some time so i'm surprised they got that much in it. I am also suspicious that they wanted to fill it up before the prices go down.

Since the tank narrows near the top, the air space isn't going to account for much fuel. I'm pretty sure the guages are calibrated for the tank shape.

I think you might be confusing furnace oil with propane. A propane tank should never be filled any more than 80% to allow for expansion in warm weather.

Furnace oil does not expand enough to be a problem.

My guess would be you have a 225gl. Tank with a 275gl. Tank gauge. Neighbor had same problem, switched the gauge and all is good.

We just replaced a 50 year old tank and the guys told me the fuel gauges, they use now, are very accurate. Check out the plans your supplier offers. Consider one that has a built in inspection each year. Unlike NG and LPG, fuel oil furnace needs to be checked each year.

Reach down in the top with a stick or a tape measure and see how full it is, I would never trust a gauge if I hadn't checked it. And, as someone else said, fuel oil doesn't expand much with temperature change.

I don't know your answert but! How old is the tank these people just bought this house. 200k clean up!

https://www.wcvb.com/article/costly-home-oil-leak-wareham-massachusetts-february-2022/39166705#
Leak

If they didn't run it over what is the problem. It is just full or close to it. IF it is a major issue pull the fill cap and measure down to the fuel to find the level then just figure the space. Or not worry about it anymore. I changed a sending unit in a tractor one time dad was worried it didn't read full accurately. I told him I was more concerned with it being accurate near the empty side. Who cares if it is right when full no walking on a full tank.

If they didn't overfill, it probably has a whistle. If it doesn't have one get one installed, the guy that filled it can tell you if it does. My gauge is not very accurate it show empty at 1/4 full. That gauge just gives you a relative estimate of the amount of fuel in the tank.

Son bought a place a few years back it was oil heat with the tank in the basement, as it was an old single wall tank it needed to be removed for insurance reasons.

Tank gauge read between 1/8 and 1/4.

By the time we were done hauling pail after pail out of the basement we removed over 200 gallons.

So unless you personally check and calibrate the gauge it is nothing more than a general indication.

Maybe the newer ones are more accurate, I don't know.

unfortunately we're not near by to run over there much. so i cannot see if it truely says full now. It should with 60 more gallons.

As one other noted on leaks. I probably need to look at the legs real close and make sure they're not rusting under the tank. Its an old field stone walled basement so they are never dry.

Rustyfarmall I totally disagree.
I heat with fuel oil and it will
definitely expand!!! You
definitely need to leave about 6
inches.

Here is a tank chart. Figure out the tank you have. I just stick mine and then are you measure the amount with the tape measure and reference the chart.
cvphoto121114.png

None of the gauges I've seen account for the shape of the tank. They are just a float on the end of an arm that pushes the indicator up and down as the level changes. They are correct at full, half and empty, other than that, it's approximate, and if the arm got bent when it was installed or the tank is out of level, all bets are off.

They told too many people! They should of had the tank pumped out as soon as they noticed the leak. Did they think it would plug it's self? If they would of taken care of it themselves, put down a sheet of poly over the floor, and pour new concrete on top, and forget about it.

Simple answer is, check it when gauge says full, and see if there is 6 inches of air space at the top.

I agree with the poster that said floating gauges just give you an idea of how much is in the tank (full, half, empty). I'd guess most of them type gauges show empty when there is still 5 or 10 gallons left, and show full when they are 5 or 10 gallons short. As said before, IF gauge was installed right, and completely still functional.

Yep, might have to get on a different plan. Granny probably had a 60 gallon monthly plan that worked for her. Never ran out. Bought oil all year long. Probably figured being on a set monthly amount would even out the fluctuating price, without buying large quantities at a time. Was convenient for her, and never had to watch the highs and lows of the market.
Problem with large quantity fill ups, is you might get it filled up at the low, but that fill up might run out when prices hit the high. Then what you gonna do?? Go back to 60 gallons at a time like granny use to do??

Not sure if (4 point 5 acres) is a farm. Sounds like a house with outbuildings and a big yard to me. Just saying.

Just my background first. I am a fuel delivery driver with 17 and a half years experience. I have delivered millions of gallons in those years. Those gauges are are helpful to know when itsnear full, half tank, and empty. Sometimes there are bushings screwed into the tank then the gauge screwed in and sometimes the gauge directly into the tank. I have filled tanks before and the gauge is reading 3/4 and some gauges the indicator is touching the top of the sight glass. If the tank has a whistle most drivers stop pumping when it stops whistling which would leave 5 or 6 inches from the top. Yes I have seen many tanks filled too close to the top and the heat causes expansion and it runs over later out the fill or vent or both. The most I ever put into a 275 tank was 264 gallons and it was brand new,empty , and very cold out. It was less that one inch from running over. Tried and true method is sticking the tank with a measuring stick. Our automatic delivery computer system never ever shows a 275 with having 275 useable gallons always lower depends on how high up the draw tube is. Hope this helps.

Maybe not. Is your tank round? If so its a 300 gallon tank and his meter is set to stop at 275. Or if its oval they made a 330 gallon tank with same dimensions as a 275 with the exception of the length. I believe its 1 foot longer than a 275. They look almost identical and are very often mistaken. Also could have you down as a 275 and the meter shuts off at 275 gallons.

esfarmer,

I respect your experience but I don't understand why the whistling stops when there's 5 or 6 inches of headspace in the tank. I would think the whistling stops when fuel oil enters the tank end of the vent pipe and there's no more air in the tank.

Where am I going wrong in my thinking?

When filling a tank at the gallons per minute that a fuel truck pumps which our average 65 gpm , It creates foam. The foam is what actually interferes with the whistling device. In winter time when it stops whistling Ill stop and let it settle then usually put another 15 gallons in or so. I do this only in winter because of less risk for expansion and hoping that extra 15 gallons might keep them warm till I get there for the next delivery.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back