oil-absorbent or kitty litter??

Good afternoon: I need to clean up a small area on concrete floor where oil leaked from an engine. I know I can use kitty litter, also a little kerosene, then kitty litter again. Other suggestions? BTW, whatever I get, my nearest source may be Dollar General, 1/2 mile from house. (I already have kerosene). Other stores are farther away....
Dennis M. in W. Tenn.

I like brake cleaner and kitty
litter. Spray the heck out of it
w brake cleaner till it's a
puddle then throw down the kitty
litter.

I too use sawdust as I do enough wood working to have a free supply. And paint thinner works to dilute oil on concrete too.

Dirt falls off my tractor tires.
I just push the dry dirt over a new oil spill.
Always a pile of dirt under my old tractor.

What is kitty litter made from?

. Most cat litter is made from bentonite clay, they type of clay
that clumps in the presence of moisture. This type of clay also
helps absorb odors because it can hold the urine, and it keeps
the litter box a bit cleaner because the liquid and solid waste
can be scooped out regularly. According to Wikipedia, non-
clumping cat litters are usually made of zeolite, diatomite and
sepiolite.

Dirt that falls off my tractor tires works for me and it's
FREE!.

Wipe up excessive oil and clean up with mineral spirits then mop it.
If you have a extremely worn floor then throw grit (speed dry)on it. If its a nice floor and you want to keep it nice for years don't throw grit on it.

It wont pick up the oil like floor dry especially if its a big oil slick
cvphoto153513.png

Cat litter purchases should look d=for the cheapest brand. do not buy the kind that advertises clumping, it is too clumy. Jim

I use what ever is cheapest at the time. I have used old seed sacks sawdust dirt off the tires kitty litter floor dry and even carcboard to catch the oil before it hits the floor.

Are we trying to mop up a oil spill or are we trying to remove a
stain from where oil has seeped into the pores of the
concrete. Big difference.

While dirt cat litter and sawdust may work as an absorbent on
a wet oil spot for a stain you are going to need a grease
cutting soap. I have heard of people using dawn but they sell
concrete soap at the box stores. They also make a chalky
powder that I cant remember the name that you scrub into
the pours of the concrete to mask what is left of the stain after
you clean it with soap.

I use whatever is on hand. Dirt, kitty litter, oil dry, etc. I wipe up any liquid then pour the absorbent material on the area and grind it in with my foot. Let it sit overnight and most of the stain is gone.

I had a pretty big soil slick on my shop floor a couple of weeks ago.
It got soaked in good as I was working on a tractor and could not get it moved for a couple of days.
Took a shovel and got some dry clay from under a shed and spread on it and swept it around and left it for about 3 days.
Then swept it up and and now 2 weeks later, the stain is almost unnoticeable.
Cheap and effective.

saw dust works best for me too. But, I keep Oil-Dri around for when my woodworking doesn't keep up with my messiness.

Good morning: Replying to my own question, I did buy some cat litter product, I will probably work on the floor today. It is not exactly a puddle, but is still wet, so I am supposing a combination of kerosene, a little scrubbing with a broom, then litter, and scoop/sweep up. I will probably post more this evening. Thanks to all for the ideas!
Dennis M. in W. Tenn.

They both come out of the same factory. My nephew was production manager of the factory in Mississippi. Its processed clay that is perfumed and colored as
the contract specifies. Some kitty some oil dry.

Epoxy coated floors are nice for the not having oil soak in but slippery as all get out when wet or oily from a spill. I don't like walking on those painted or epoxy flors for that reason.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back