Oil filter wrench

Doug-Iowa

I'm looking for an oil filter wrench. In the past week I changed oil on my Massey 1635 where I cannot get a conventional metal band type on the filter to remove it. On this tractor you have about 1/2" clearance around the filter itself and from the end of the filter to the loader frame about 2-3". So I can't use my side wind strap socket thing either. The filter is small, about 3" in diameter. Only an end type tool appears to work, but it has to be fairly short to get it in there and the filter has very shallow notches to grip on to. After a good and proper cursing, I finally got it out by poking a hole thru it and using a screwdriver, which of course made a mess. And once its loose you have a real tiny space to get it out and get the new one back into. I've ran into this on some newer cars as well, so I need a better way.

Looking on the net I see some three finger-like tools that might work, anyone have experience with them? Are they spring loaded so you can get it to stay on the filter long enough to get the ratchet in it? If they are "universal" they are probably too big (for the larger filters) to get this small one in a tight spot? K&N makes an oil filter with an embossed hex on it to fit a wrench, which would work great but apparently not in a size to fit this tractor. Be nice if the tool also worked to tighten it, my hands can't grip good in that tight of space but it didn't leak so I must have gotten it tight enough. Thanks for the advice.

I have several of the 3 finger style end grip ones.

They work good using either a ratchet or a hand wrench to turn them so tight areas are no problem.

They are not completely universal which is why I have 3 of them but each one will do quite a few sizes in it's range.

I also have a 2 arm one that does not get used as much but works okay.

The 3 finger ones I have could be used to tighten, the way they are set up when you turn the nut part either direction the gears will move the fingers from fully retracted inward to grip the filter.

They make one that works with a socket type wrench. It fits over the end of the filter and then when you turn the wrench it tighten up on the filter and takes it off. Most any auto parts tore will have them

I've got a 3 finger type that i had to use on the new Gator. The filter was super tight and in a tight spot. Worked good.

Be careful tightening any oil filter with any oil filter wrench. For two reasons. Its easy to over tighten which makes it almost impossible to remove next oil change. Two, if you crimp the out side of the filter it will eventually fail.

Take the filter you plan on using to a place like Napa to match a tool. Even a jar lid remover works slick on some filters. Here's about half of mine that all came from the tool trucks.
cvphoto3860.jpg

cvphoto3861.jpg

This one looks like just what i need, can you tell me a manufacturer or part number? Might be a Leslie? They make all kinds of great specialty tools. Thanks!
cvphoto3862.jpg

Found it. I enhanced the other image contrast enough to make out "Plews". Its a 70-715. Perfect, I have it on order from amazon. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/Plews-70-715-Bi-Directional-Filter-Wrench/dp/B000KKLK1I

I recently bought one of those 3 finger tools at Walmart and it works great for me on my wife's 2015 Chevy truck with a 6 cylinder. The filter is a pain in the butt to get to.

Look at a [b:edd9a5fb34]Motivx Tools Universal Oil Filter Wrench.[/b:edd9a5fb34] Works good on tight places.

I have another one to add that has worked good too. I have found that they work when the steel band ones want to slip.
cvphoto3889.jpg

Channel lock pliers work in a lot of instances for me. Also can drive a screwdriver thru the filter and loosen it that way...last resort.

Hello Doug,

Here is mine, will it work for you? Six in capacity, 1/2 and 3/8 drive,

Guido
cvphoto3894.jpg

(quoted from post at 23:41:09 11/26/18) Found it. I enhanced the other image contrast enough to make out "Plews". Its a 70-715. Perfect, I have it on order from amazon. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/Plews-70-715-Bi-Directional-Filter-Wrench/dp/B000KKLK1I

If you have enoufh room for that type get the end cap type that fits your filter life will be good...

I have a small fortune tied up in oil filter tools GRRRRRR! just wait till you get hold of a late model dodge ram turbo diesel oil filter..

For end cap type, I like this one below, low profile and adjustable. I have a 3 jaw too but what I like about this one is you can slip it on the filter and it will hold itself on without falling off, makes it a lot easier to use. Just use a 3/8 ratchet to remove filter, add extension if needed. Lisle tools are not hard to find, most auto parts stores carry them, or can found from online ( amazon, ebay etc)

mvphoto27266.jpg

My most used oil filter removal tool is a pair of slip joint pliers like below. I have a dozen other filter wrench/pliers but these two tools do about 90% of all.

mvphoto27268.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back