Oil for IH 460

beefey

Hi All--

I recall it being important to run low ash oil in the older IH machines. I have a IH 460 gas that I don't think has the hardened valve seats installed (and maybe this doesn't matter to oil selection but anyway...)

I recently went to the IH dealer and they no longer carry that specific oil but the guy tried to sell me some Cub Cadet motor oil.

If IH obsoleted this oil from the dealers what are you guys using?

TIA
Beefey

Low Ash JPG Final.jpg

It's important for the 6-cylinder gas engines, as the reduced ash content helped prevent burned valves.

Some will say "all oil is low ash these days" but there's low ash, and there's Low Ash. The IH Low Ash oil has 1/2 as much ash as even the most modern oil.

What really happened is, CaseNewHolland changed oil suppliers about 3 years ago from Viscosity to Shell. Shell doesn't have a "low ash" oil product. Your local CaseIH dealer is supposed to supply quarts of Penzoil Low Ash.

You can still pick up the Low Ash oil from a Viscosity oil dealer.

It's important for the 6-cylinder gas engines, as the reduced ash content helped prevent burned valves.

Some will say "all oil is low ash these days" but there's low ash, and there's Low Ash. The IH Low Ash oil has 1/2 as much ash as even the most modern oil.

What really happened is, CaseNewHolland changed oil suppliers about 3 years ago from Viscosity to Shell. Shell doesn't have a "low ash" oil product. Your local CaseIH dealer is supposed to supply quarts of Penzoil Low Ash.

Nothing is every easy is it... Thank you for your reply BarnyardEngineering

Nothing is every easy is it... Thank you for your reply BarnyardEngineering
Opinion) the early 6 cylinder engines in the IH line had no valve stem seals. The "regular" oils being used would coat the valve stem and the back of the valve head with oil that would be turned to coke. (like charcoal) and cause reduced opening, and insulating the valve from cooling intake charges. The use of modern multi wt. oils have much higher heat resistance, and better detergent additives. The use of valve stem seals (that regulate oil flow) is also a recommendation on headwork. There are Many strong feelings on this topic, so I have expressed mine. Pepsi-Pepsi, no coke. Jim
coking valve.jpg

Last edited:
We always just used the same oil the diesels did for as long as I can remember as a kid to now. Never burnt a valve in the HY or any other engine around here. Maybe just lucky and maybe all the oil business is all BS.

I run Cub Cadet oil in my 454 now, because I run it hard. It only takes a gallon to a change. I keep a quart just in case it uses a little, sometimes it does, most of the time it doesn't use any between changes. I run it 1 year (up to 150 hrs) but usually no more than 100 hrs and change it in the spring after a good warm-up, drain and filter change. Original engine, 6400 hrs, not changing to anything else now. I ran Delo 400 diesel 10-30 in my 454 gas GM motor home engine....James

We always just used the same oil the diesels did for as long as I can remember as a kid to now. Never burnt a valve in the HY or any other engine around here. Maybe just lucky and maybe all the oil business is all BS.
We had a burned valve in our 756 gas when I was real young. Would've been spring of 1977, I think. Dad bought the tractor in '76 so we'd only had it for a little over a year and who knows what oil the previous owners used. Probably Cen-Pe-Co, because that was big in the area at the time. Seemed like there was a Cen-Pe-Co barrel in everyone's front yard...

After that Dad always used IH Low Ash in all the gas tractors and never had another burned valve. The engine in that 756 had other problems, but no more burned valves.

Clearly it doesn't happen to everyone and it also depends a lot on how the tractor was used. In the 756's case it did pretty much everything on that small farm until 1980 or so.

Any CF2 rated oil is low ash. Walmart as well as tractor supply carries it.
Bomgars who bought out Orschelns sells their harvest king 30 wt oil in a CF2. Per API, C stands for diesel and F is a performance standard. CF1 has an ash content of 0.5%. CF2 runs from 0.8 to a max of 1.0%. They also have a CF4 which probably has more ash in it.

Don't know about that coast but keep a life preserver handy for when the place falls into the ocean any day now. Try any farm supply store such as TSC or whatever. Also try the auto parts houses like Napa or Oreillys. If they don't have it in stock then they can order it. I have been reading that the new synthetic oils are low ash but you may not want a synthetic. Cub Cadet and Kohler both recommend using low ash oil in their engines. Been looking on Amazing and through giggle so it is out there to be ordered.

Hi All--

I recall it being important to run low ash oil in the older IH machines. I have a IH 460 gas that I don't think has the hardened valve seats installed (and maybe this doesn't matter to oil selection but anyway...)

I recently went to the IH dealer and they no longer carry that specific oil but the guy tried to sell me some Cub Cadet motor oil.

If IH obsoleted this oil from the dealers what are you guys using?

TIA
Beefey

View attachment 70345
My Operators

I have a gas 656. The Operators Manual specifies low ash oil is only for LP engines. Is my manual wrong?

My Operators

I have a gas 656. The Operators Manual specifies low ash oil is only for LP engines. Is my manual wrong?
It's either wrong or you're misreading it. I don't have my 656 manual here so I can't verify.

Pretty sure Low Ash is the only oil that IH offered for gasoline engines from the early 1960's onward, and they weren't going to tell you to use someone else's oil, that's for sure.

Regardless you need the low ash content on these hot-running 6-cylinders to prevent burned valves. If you use "whatever" oil, will the valves instantly burn? No. You might go to your grave never having burned a valve. Using the low ash oil simply reduces the chances of a burned valve. It's all a roll of the dice. Using the right product just tilts the odds more in your favor.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back