oil pressure

Cole Hansen

New User
is there an oil pressure test port or plug on a 2 cylinder deere, im new to the 2 bangers and want to make sure i have oil pressure before i fire up my overhaul, any help diagrams is greatly appreciated
 
Cole, what 2 banger are you working on ? You should have a
book telling you where the oil pressure gauge attatched to.
Usually, there's a hard copper line going from the backside as
your looking at the governor going to a pressure gauge in the
dash. If its a Unstyled JD, on the right side end of gov there's a
pipe threaded hole to attach a guage to.
 
hope you used engine grease on crank and bearings before you put rod bearings on you don"t have oil pressure till engine starts and that"s why you use engine grease.Its a must.
 
Question: what model tractor are you working on?
All engines turn the oil pump when the crankshaft rotates; when the engine starts oil pressure will build quickly if all is well.
rick deere is just cautioning that dry bearings are a concern.
 
Yes it works fine with starter. I never use engine grease. Use 50 wt oil. I've seen grease plug things & a sitting engine works fine on startup so an oiled one will be fine.
 
on my JD B, after getting it unstuck and cleaned up, I just left the plugs out, jacked up the right rear, put it in gear, and turned the tire fast. Got full oil pressure on the gauge.
On Farmalls where I can't see the gauge from the front while cranking, I just unscrew the gauge, hand crank it with the plugs out till I see oil squirt out of the hole.
I never use the starter for this test, they cost too much and overheat easily.
(and I like to 'feel' an unknown engine. A starter is strong enough to break stuff if something isn't right)
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top