Old Grinder Flat Belt

TwinCreek

I have an big old grinder that used to be driven by a flat leather belt about 3" wide. I had to replace the leather belt and I used a modern synthetic belt from Habisit. The problem is that the new belt does not have enough "traction" and therefore I do not like it. Is there any other type material I can use to drive the grinder? Leather is really expensive so I would like to see what options are out there. Thanks!

Try Hit & Miss Enterprises Orwell, Ohio phone (440)272 5335. They have belts in different widths and have old style belting.

You might try one of those non slip sprays that are sold to make a step safer. It is a spray paint sort of stuff that will leave a rough surface to the pulley and that in turn should make for a non slip of the belt.

You need to get ahold of some old time black molasses. We used that on the belts for the grinder and blower . To much sticky if you used to much and you soon heard it pull the tractor down.

We still have flat belt driven nodding donkey type bore (tube well) pumps.

Over the years we have been from leather to hard fabric/rubber which works ok with belt dressing.

These days we get what looks like strips of conveyor belt.

Works fine.

Caveats are

Measure it EXACTLY as it won't stretch (been there, done that, didn't get a T-shirt)

Don't use traditional belt dressing as it will lift the rubber.

But you don't need it as the belting is pretty heavy and the rubber seems to grip fine.

Seems to last as well.

save some syrup after your pancakes and use it for belt dressing --- wont slip all day -- smells good and will draw flies --works good on my buzz saw

Hello Twincreek,

Can you setup an automotive idler to take up the slack? It may just work for you.........

Guido.

I use blackjack roofing tar on my drill press flat belts. Don't be afraid to put it on. It will coat the pulley and acts almost like a tire. It slips for the first minute till it sets up but after that hang on.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back