Old gun face lift

gab

First three picts. I had on here last winter. It's an old Remington model 24 auto. my favorite neighbor Harry gave me in about 1970. It was worn out and rusty then and I didn't do it any favors using it for coon hunting in the rain and brush, falling down and so on. Next three I was trying to make the stock a little better, was wraped in tape as long as I had it, end was cracked in three places, all the wood that the trigger guard keyed into was sheared off on both sides, drilled 8 holes in the stock for some tooth, formed and clamped the end and poured it full of JB weld. It was torn apart on my bench since February, was tired of the mess this morning so blued the last two parts and put it together. Lost the inner mag tube forty years ago out in the woods somewhere, started working on another one and never finished it. This one was too long so I cut the tube with my tubing cutter, stuck the upper end of a speedometer cable in the tube and crimped it with the tubing cutter and the piece on the end is the cap off a ball point pen. Was afraid I made the cable a hair too short to push in the last shell but it works, ventilated my burn barrel with it. Only thing I lost in all that time was the rear sight. Came out a long ways from perfect but atleast got rid of the black tape.
a268341.jpg

a268342.jpg

a268343.jpg

a268344.jpg

a268345.jpg

a268346.jpg

a268347.jpg

a268348.jpg

a268349.jpg

a268350.jpg

a268351.jpg

a268352.jpg

a268353.jpg

Think I got this Birchwood Casey kit at Gander mtn. but have also seen it at Walmart. The 3 blue bottle kit was 12 or 15 dollars, brown stock refinish bottle was another 5 or so. This barrel was so rusty I took my bench grinder wire wheel to it. It's far from perfect better than it was.
a268391.jpg

a268392.jpg

a268393.jpg

nice job !! but how does the action work on it -- I dont see an exit for the spent shell -- and how do ya load the first round? Roy

Load it through the hole on the side of the stock, shells eject out the bottom fast as you can pull the trigger.

Nice job, gab, and there's even a tractor in one of the pictures! Couldn't tell from the pictures, but is the rear sight still missing? If so, does it just go into a dovetail? If so, it's really not a big job to make a new one with some grinding and filing. Might not match the original, but will function just fine, and as the rest of the gun already has some "unique" features (the magazine tube fix was especially interesting) it would blend right in. Learned to shoot on the Browning version of these guns and have always liked them.

Some people would freak out and start moaning about how you "ruined" the originality of the gun. I think it looks good and you took something that was probably ready for the trash can and gave it a new lease on life. I did something similar to an old Savage 110 in 30-06. Problem was I was already 3/4 of the way through it and realized it needed a new barrel. Had I know that at the beginning I would have passed on it. Now its "like new" and is the primary deer gun for one of my sons.

Black tape was the handymans secret weapon 50 years before RedGreen and duct tape were on the scene.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back