Old L Pic and More Threshing Extension Feeder Info

namdc3

Several of you probably saw the posts I did earlier about Case extension feeders. Here"s why I"m interested in them. This picture is of my grandpa arriving home after the wheat harvest season. It"s a 1934 L, Case 32 Special thresher (probably a 32x54), and Garden City extension feeder. Grandpa custom threshed around the area. If you look close you can see his tobacco pipe. He probably needed it after roading that rig home. In the distance you can see the white, one-room school house where my dad went to grade school before going to high school in town. It about half covers the neighbor"s house across the road in this picture. This picture is probably from the very early 1940s.

Grandpa didn"t get a combine until 1944. It was a G4 MM and came in pieces. The dealership didn"t have anyone to put it together because of the war. Grandpa wanted a Gleaner, but he took what he could get. It turned out to be a good combine.

Over Christmas, I dealt for the two Case extension feeders that resided within a couple miles of our family farm. The galvanized one was with a machine that we estimate to be a 1925 model. There was no sn plate, but we measured the size and compared it to production years. There were also several places where people had signed the machine in lead pencil through the years, and the earliest date was 1925, just before harvest. Dad recognized the old names, which sparked several good stories. This extension feeder is only made to drive in line with the machine.

The other feeder can drive straight, off to the left, or off to the right. I"ve shown pictures of the drive shafts. It mounts to the self-feeder a little differently than the other one does. One mounts over a bar and the other has posts that stick into holes. They are both for 28-inch machines, though. Most likely, we"ll fix and use the galvanized one first. It"s in a little better shape. You can still read a little of the stenciling on the side.

I just purchased some Garden City feeder literature on ebay. I don"t have it yet, but have included an ebay picture of a page with GC extension feeders. I think Grandpa"s would have been like the bottom one.

Dad says that in our area, everyone used extension feeders. He"s never seen wing feeders in person though. It"s funny how regional different methods can be. He does remember one that was shaped like a boat. I think he"s probably thinking of one of these...http://www.periodpaper.com/index.php/subject-advertising-art/tractors-farming/1922-ad-antique-farm-extension-feeder-cawker-city-ks

This got a bit lengthy, but if you made it this far hopefully it was something you wanted to read about.
a31290.jpg

a31291.jpg

a31292.jpg

a31293.jpg

a31294.jpg

a31295.jpg

Very interesting, thank you for the info, before reading your posts I have never knew they existed. I have seen wing feeders but not these. My dad was a custom thresher, used a woods brothers and a 15-25 rock island tractor. We threshed into the 50's, the last thresher we had was a late woods brothers, said humming bird on the side, made a green chop feeder wagon out of it, still have it as well as the rock island tractor.

Neat. That"s an interesting tractor, and it"s great that you still have it. We don"t have the L anymore. I tried to track it down, but lost the trail. We have a few others that were from my dad"s dad and several of that kind with green and yellow paint that were original tractors on my mom"s side. However, we don"t have either side"s first tractor, which was the L on one side and a Fordson F on the other. We have a 29 L on steel now, and I plan to get and restore an F at some point in my life.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back