OLD truck accessory help

notjustair

No, not one of Old's, trucks, although he may have an idea for me. Yes, I've tried Stovebolt, but I haven't been a member for eons like I have here (I don't always get any responses) and you guys know all of the best places anyway. There's far more traffic here with guys that run old stuff everyday or live down the road from a place I am hoping to find.

The 1935 Chevy grain truck is missing clearance lights. Not the cab ones - it never had those. I'm talking a couple of amber and a couple of red for the bottom corners of the bed. One of the original amber is there but needs replaced, so I need a full set. Since it has no turn signals or brake lights a three bar that looks vintage in the center of the back of the bed wouldn't hurt. Here's what I want:
-metal brackets but not chrome
-glass colored lamp covers (very important)
-cover to only point one direction, not double bullet style on the tops of the cabs that is visible both directions
-two wire if possible so that it can look original and I don't have to run a spade off the mounting screws

Not to be picky, but the original had spirals cut into the glass that ran around the circumference and not toward the point. That would be the bonus, of course. The odds that I would ever run her again at night are small, but we do use it to feed bales and things so there's always that chance. I'd be less worried about doing chores with it if I didn't have to worry that I would be off the dirt road before sundown. Today I didn't chore with it because I knew I was going to stay and work on waterers and might be late. If it would make more than one trip to town a year i would upgrade everything, but they are getting sticky about antique plates around here. They don't care if it is a grain truck (which seems odd, cause my other truck I actually haul grain with has the same plate as my old car), but they ask if it has the original engine. They will make allowances for seatbelt. Those would be effective in a tin cab screwed to wood! They don't even like extra lights or two brake lights if it isn't supposed to have them.

I could kick myself because when I got my 58 GMC it had these same glass covers. When I changed out the rusty bases I pitched them. If I at least had the glass I could be more flexible on the base.

Any ideas? I tried Grote, Jim Carter, McMaster Carr, etc. I'd love to go new rather than someone's old rusty eBay junk if possible.

Have you checked out any Semi-truck parts dealers close by? I found lenses that would work on the rear of my '69 GMC at a used truck dealer's parts department. They had a big board with lots of tail light lenses and reflectors on display. They were plastic. If you insist on glass you may be disappointed.

I found replacements for the missing side markers at Tractor Supply-but that was in about 2004 and their stock has changed now. I was looking for reflectors there a month or so back.

We need pictures,I have a box full of old and odd lights, but the only ones I know what they came from, is the IH one.

Notjustair, post some pictures as I Have a friend that deals in old car and truck parts. He might have something. Heck, I may even have something stashed in my barn from when I ran a couple of salvage yards years ago.

I have had good luck searching
EBay vintage clearance lights.

I'm not a eBay fan but do what I
have to.

Tom

I have had good luck searching
EBay vintage clearance lights.

I'm not a eBay fan but do what I
have to.

Tom

If you get really desperate hit some car show flea markets in the spring. You wouldn't beleave what shows up. Have seen lots of used and NOS stuff.

I have a single green lense if you could use it. Mac's of Buffalo NY specializes in restoration parts for old Fords. I have bought some things that would be universal to all makes such as cloth wire loom.

Almost all lights where made by Guide . If you can find out the Guide part numbers your in the knowledge. Search eBay by Guide number.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back