Oliver 1600 Diesel

Sidewinder

New User
I have a 1600 diesel that used to when started cold the oil light would turn off immediately and when turn it off hot it would take a few seconds for the light to come on. Now the oil light has been slow to turn off when started cold and quick to turn off when shutting it down but never came on while operating. But the other day light came on. Turned out the sending unit was bad. I replaced it with a universal one and started it up and after a couple minutes the light came on at idle. I bench tested the sender and it switches off at 22 psi. I read somewhere that this motor "Waukesha" has low oil pressure to begin with. So I started back up at 3/4 throttle and the light would flicker I shut it down. I figure it should at least have 22 psi at 3000 rpms. Pulled pan and looked at all rod bearing and all look good. Not sure about main caps as they look hard to torque. Digging further I find there is an oil pressure regulator but where the diagram shows it my engine doesn't have that. Where should I be looking?

Thanks Greg :?:

Install a good quality mechanical gauge on it and operate it for a few days to see if you have a sending unit problem or an engine
problem. I have never been a lover of idiot lights of any kind. Also universal sending units may not be compatible with all dash
units. They do not all have the same electrical values.

I'd get a lower setting pressure switch, IF engine has normally low pressure to begin with. Get a switch that opens contacts at about five PSI should make it work like it did
before.

They carry more oil pressure than the 1550 and the earlier tractors like the 77-Super 77 etc. 30 psi wouldn't be out of the
question at normal operating temp I wouldn't think. Hook up a calibrated test gauge and see what you have. Don't trust some cheap
thing made for decoration.

(quoted from post at 05:09:57 12/03/21) I hope you are not trying
to get 3000 rim out of that
engine.

The tach has never worked since my dad got it. I always assumed that max rpm would be about 3000. I always give it enough throttle to do what im doing. My dad on the other hand would run it high rpms. I would think rev'd it should have at least 22 lbs.

Thanks everyone for the replys.

Thanks guys. Got it up and running with new oem oil pressure sending unit. My neighbor thinks I pulled pan for nothing but I was at least able to remove metal parts from and old rod replacement that someone did before which is good. I also got to check all the bearing. But through out this ordeal I learned a lot about this tractor.

I am glad you guys are here and Im sure you will hear from me again.

Thanks Greg :D

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back