Oliver 252 disc HP needed

DavidT1

Hello,
I am looking at a Oliver 252 disc that the owner says is 13ft. I have a JD 620 44 drawbar HP. I am wondering from the Oliver folks if this would be a safe disk to be able to use with that HP tractor? Be in Buckwheat residue and plowed ground, mixed soil type. Thanks!!

I don't have any experience with that disc or tractor, but at 13 ft. and using the old timer's 5hp/ft. rule of thumb, you'll need approximately 65+ HP to make it effective. I would imagine total disc weight has a lot to do with it as well.

Also- you may get quicker (and better) answers in the implement section.

Hello,
I am looking at a Oliver 252 disc that the owner says is 13ft. I have a JD 620 44 drawbar HP. I am wondering from the Oliver folks if this would be a safe disk to be able to use with that HP tractor? Be in Buckwheat residue and plowed ground, mixed soil type. Thanks!!
Not in plowed ground, no. Eight foot would be plenty. Somebody was asking on the Implement forum just recently about a disc for a 350 Farmall. Most agreed with me that eight foot was plenty for that in plowed ground too if you want to pull it deep enough and fast enough to do the job it was intended to do. You'll either run out of power or traction.

A 620 is more hefty/torquey than many similar HP tractors and might pull it ok-ish in some conditions, but it's going to be quite a load for it in others. Apart from soil and root conditions, speed, depth, and moisture make a big difference. You could probably lift the wheels a little so it only cuts a few inches deep and get along ok when the going gets tough, but it's not going to float along the ground nearly as well nor cut into sod/roots without several passes.

You could theoretically take off the outer 3 or 4 discs on each gang and reduce it to a 9' or 10' effective cutting width, which would pull easier and also still have a decently heavy frame to dig into the ground well. Probably not worth it if you can find a smaller disc in your area, but if the Oliver is the right price and location it might be worth the work. The only problem would be that you couldn't get right up against the fence rows because the frame and shafts would still be sticking out to the 13' width, but that's probably not a deal-breaker in most situations.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back