Onan 4.0 BFA Gas Generator

This message is a reply to an archived post by George Marsh on January 19, 2014 at 12:37:43.
The original subject was "Onan 4.0 BFA Gas Generator".

I just picked up an Onan 4.0 BFA 1r 16004a that runs and has an outlet I am going to mount it on a harbor freight trailer but I am also wanting to connect it to a remote panel inside my toy hauler any info that anyone can provide me with would be a great help the serial number is 335597 it is the 120 volt model with a 33.3 amp output I am also looking for the electronic choke for it

Until Mr. Billy Shafer (resident genset expert and go to guy, Id trust his opinion far above any others here, myself included) can respond, I will offer this advice until he arrives:

1) If its to be used and configured as a Separate Derived Source and its Neutral is NOT connected to the Utility company's Neutral, IT SHOULD BE WIRED AND CONFIGURED WITH A BONDED NEUTRAL.

2) If its to be used as an emergency generator to PROPERLY AND ELECTRICALLY AND NEC CORRECTLY AND SAFELY backfeed the homes panel using safe lockout and transfer methods when utility power is absent and ONLY the hot(s) are switched and the Utility and Genset Neutrals are tied together, IT SHOULD BE WIRED AND CONFIGURED USING A FLOATING NEUTRAL

NOTE small portable gensets and others may come from the factory with EITHER a Bonded orrrrrrrr a Floating Neutral. Consult the owners manual

3) If ONLY cord and plug connected tools are used fed from the gensets onboard receptacles there's NO (or wasnt years ago if I recall correct no warranty) requirement for bonding to a "Grounding Electrode"

Its an electrical question so expect a ton of responses. If in doubt when electrical and life/fire safety is concerned I suggest you consult with trained professional experts, electricians, engineers and the NEC and don't risk your familys lives on lay opinions.

See what Mr Shafer has to say

John T Longgggggggggggg retired and rusty Electrical Engineer and codes may have changed since I practiced SO NO WARRANTY. Consult the manual and NEC and experts for guidance and safety advice

One more note until the Genny expert M Bill Shafer arrives:

You state "I am also wanting to connect it to a remote panel inside my toy hauler"

In the event that's how you use it, to feed a toy hauler (like an RV right??) panel, NOT connected with a utility fed residential panel as an emergency backup system, I would have the Genny configured as a Separate Derived Source with a BONDED NEUTRAL. It may well already be wired that way, the onboard RV Onan and other brand (Kohler, Generac etc) type of gensets typically are. Some of the smaller portable gensets have Floating Neutrals.

NOTE RV panels have separate insulated/isolated Neutral and Ground busses, considered as sub panels when fed from an RV park power pedestal. There should ONLY BE ONE Neutral/Ground Bond in that situation.

John T

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back