Onan Engine Flooding

Kerwin

Hey folks, got a situation that has me puzzled. I've got a Sears SS/16 with an Onan twin engine that will start fine, run good for several minutes, and then start dumping a lot of gas out of the main jet in the carb sometimes to the point of flooding and stopping the engine.

I've adjusted the carb screws, the float setting, but nothing seems to stop it. Is a new carb in order or something else that I can check that would be causing this? I can look down the throat of the carb and see the gas get dumped in, as well as getting sprayed all over when this happens. Thanks for the help!

Check your carb float. Some of the Onan's had a plastic foam float the will soak up gas and sink, or a brass one could have a leak with same results.''I'd bet on a foam failure. If you need one, post a pic of the old one and I'll look to see if I have one available.

I'm with Ken. My Kohler was doing the same thing. When I took the carb apart to install a new needle and seat I discovered that somehow the float was hanging up on the side of the bowl because apparently the float was a bit off center. I carefully bent the tabs that go onto the pin that holds it and re-centered the float and now have no problems. I did notice that the P.O. had soldered a spot on the brass float as well so yes a brass float can get holes in them...Never had a plastic float in a carb, hope I never do either......

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back