Stephen Newell

In a hurry to remove the hydraulic lines to the power steering and take the cylinder to a repair shop on my Case 210b I neglected to mark which line goes where.
cvphoto149971.jpg
Looking at the picture is the supply line to the left or the right.

you will find out when u put it together. if it turns the opposite way u turn the wheel , switch the lines. u got a 50/50 chance.

Me too, that's why I was asking. I could live with it trying to turn the opposite direction when I try it. I was just afraid I would damage the cylinder. Just spent 200 bucks having it overhauled.

On my 210-b-h the top hose from the pump goes to the wheel side of the control or the left side looking from the seat. Where did you get it overhauled at.

so what happens when u hook your cultivator hoses to the tractor opposite ?... same deal. you just push instead of pull on the lever, say to lift. hummm, think i will start a thread on that.

Thanks for the info. I got the cylinder overhauled at Herco Equipment in Mesquite TX. I also had the bucket cylinder done. I replaced the seals and O-rings on it a couple years ago but it never did right. It would drop the load if you didn't constantly lift it. They said they honed the cylinder for quite a while to get it true again. I didn't have any means of checking it or hone anything that deep when I worked on it.

According to what Barry said I had it hooked up right after all. Guess I need to go buy a lottery ticket before my luck changes.

If you connect the hoses wrong the so call relief valve ball will simple unseat and channel the press back to what is the correct supply port so you have pressure on both sides of the spool. The relief valve is actually a spike pressure ball with no spring and is normally seated by the incoming supply pressure. The relief valve ball unseats if the return pressure exceeds the supply pressure and will lift the relief valve on the pump. These cylinders were used on road vehicles, a wheel hitting an obstruction (curb?) at speed can cause a large instantaneous pressure spike back through the return which will unseat the relief ball and bleed off the pressure into the supply line back to the pump. The purpose is to help prevent major damage to the mechanical steering gear and possible loss of steering when the vehicle is traveling at speed and hits an obstruction.

cvphoto150052.jpg

If you look closely in the supply port you can see the threads for the relief valve

cvphoto150053.jpg

cvphoto150054.jpg

If they honed on it for quite awhile, that took away material and made the cylinder oversized which causes fluid to slip by.I have new cylinders and other parts for the steering cylinders which I have had built.I rebuild the steering cylinders in my shop.Best wishes, Bob

If they honed on the cylinder for a long time, it became oversized and will not hold pressure.I have those in stock along with many other new parts.I have rebuilt many cylinders over the years.Let me know if I can help. Bob

I'm sure they used a slightly larger O-rings and seals. I used the tractor all day today and the cylinder is holding fine.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back