Opinions on JD4230?

Group,

Still on my search for a 2nd tractor actually 5th if you count the 3 JD B's I am going to look at a 4230 tomorrow and looking for things to look out for on this model, Has the
Powershift and a 4 post cab. Fairly new tires and nice paint. All comments welcome good or bad about this model.

Thanks

Sam
 
Hours? History? I think that the 4230's overall were a good tractor. Buy a good one versus an unknown. Pull the dipsticks and pop the fuel cap plus radiator cap to get on idea as to its possible care. Power shift transmissions can be very expensive to rebuild and certain parts are NLA. It would be an excellent idea to ask if there are any records as to maintenance and repairs. Most I would guess have had at least an in frame engine overhaul so chances of getting a cold weather poor starter are slim. If it were me I would pursue a 4230 until something in my research of a given 4230 told me to give up on it. You can't buy a very late 4020 or a 4050 for 4230 money unless there was something wrong with them.
 
Hour meter shows 1565 hours. Looks like a newer meter maybe when it was rebuilt??? I will know more on the history tomorrow. Looking at photos looks to be well taken care of. I was advised to pull dipsticks on engine and tranny also to look for oil seepage from the turbo. The asking price is 13,900.00 In PA.
 

Some say they are the hardest cold starting tractor of the 30 series. I do not have any first hand knowledge of them. I do know they are very similar to the 4430, just with a rotary injection pump and no turbo. I think most buyers of new Deeres in the 70s opted for the 4430, so the 4230s are less common. They replaced the 4020.
 
For 13,900 dollars and presumably no full cab (SGB) it had better be pristine and have excellent tires IMO. I know everything is up lately but 4230's are quite common tractors w/o a trail of collectors chasing them. Is this tractor on CL or Tractor House?
 
You are correct no full cab just the 4 post canopy. Tires are at least 1/2 if not 3/4 new so good rubber all the way around. Fresh paint. No it is not on the websites. Small dealer that I found. History he told me is that the guy retired and sold everything. Other than that ????
 
Probably the most under-rated tractor in the Gen II lineup. They don't bring a lot of $$ usually, but are an updated 4020 and more or less the same as a 4040. So it's a rugged but undervalued 100 hp tractor.

There are a lot more quad range ones than power shift.

I've got one here on the feed mixer... 38,000 hours and counting. 2 engine overhauls, 1 clutch. She runs EVERY day...
 
Records are very important to a guy like me. Otherwise maybe the tractor checks out or maybe it does not. Like I said before everything is quite high for various reasons. Probably not going to get the seller to come off of his price. If not in a hurry to buy I would chance finding something with a clear history.
 
I have personally looked at this tractor.
DuPont Restore / Spray Bomb restore, call it what you want, but it just has a coat of paint to make it look nice.

Bad tie rod joints, hole in exhaust manifold, engine seems like its a bit sluggish, missing serial number plate on tractor, various wires are cut or stuff is not hooked up / jumped out, left brake needs attention (but it does build pressure after a second or two), air filter is plugged, no oil on the engine oil dipstick, no oil on the hydraulic oil dipstick, fuel gauge don't work, ,missing one battery and the other one is not right. The battery is too tall for the box and the foot step set on the battery posts (has a loose piece of rubber between the step and battery post).....
 
Haymaker,

If this is the tractor near Altoona then yes... If so Thanks so much, I really don't want to drive 6 hours to see a piece of junk.
 
nobody on the john deere pages ever wants to hear my opinion on the 4230! we had a new one back in 73 powershift the only way it would start below 60 degrees was with starting fluid transmission went to hell at 2500 hours and the engine was done by 4000 hours.

we also had a 1974 4430 it was better in the fact it would start and didnt need constant battery, injector or injection replacement.

we replaced both of those with 4440's and still have and use today. both of these have over 12,000 hours each. not much has bean done to them.


I would like to think that we were doing something wrong with that 4230 but the truth it was a lemon.A neighbor bought a 4230 at the same time that we did both tractors came on same truck. he never took care of it but it still ran and drove onto the truck when the salvage yard came after it
 

Had a 4230 here from 77-84. Lousy to start until we found a high resistance cable from battery to battery under the cab . And a totally lousy ground connection from the right battery
to the engine block .
Replaced it with a 4050 MFWD , only reason was to obtain 4WD .
 
Roaring Spring! There is only one (1) spring so it is singular.

Did you get any pictures? I request pictures and info/history before driving six (6) hours to look at anything.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top